2 replies to this topic

#1 FAZ

FAZ

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:01 AM

think my relay is kaput, can i just join all the wires together going into the relay so the fan is permanently on with the ignition / engine running?

#2 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 12:07 AM

No. The relay power feed (purple wire) is hot all the time. If you connect it to the fan (black/green) it would run all the time, even with the ignition off.

You are better of finding out what is wrong.

Start with removing the grille. Turn the ignition switch to the run position and connect (short) the two wires (light green/white and black) on the temperature switch at the bottom of the radiator. The fan should run. If not, something is wrong.

I had a funny problem with the purple wire. If the fan was disconnected, I could get voltage to the fan connector (black/green). When the fan was plugged in, the voltage dissapeared. It turned out that somehow the purple wire developed high internal resistance inside the loom between the fuse and the relay. So, no current was feeding the relay. I replaced the purple wire portion between the fuse and the relay that went accross the bulkhead.

#3 MINIHF

MINIHF

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Best thing to do is to wire a external switch to your mini. I wired my fan to the ignition with a relay then a swtich on the dashboard. Now i can turn the fan on whenever i want :proud: I can send you a picture if required. Hope this helps!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users