#1 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Local Club: Redditch Mini Owners Club

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

Ok I know ive been asking a lot of questions lately but im just trying to gain knowledge for when the mini comes off the road for a rebuild. Tubbed rear arches couple of questions on them;

1)How is it done?
2)How dfficult is it (expert only/ confident DIY man)?
3)How much would a bodyshop charge to do the job?

Cheers for all the help lately guys n gals

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

Don't quite know what you mean???

#3 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:05 PM

Its a process used so that the rear can be lowered as much as possible without scrubbing the outer of the wheel arch. Have a look at the picture of the arch on this website;
http://www.turbo-min...4392/index.html

#4 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ah right

I was going to do this but decided that it can wait as I was behind in the project

Basicaly cut the inner arch all the way round the middle of the flat bit, grind off the spot welds attatching that part to the quarter panel, bend the lip back, using a strip of metal already cut to be welded in, offer it up, mark the quarter panel, cut the quarter panel 15mm BELOW this line, bend the lip back with a hammer and dolly, weld in the strip of metal, trim back any excess ot the seam if required.

Thats how I was going to do it

#5 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:27 PM

Cheers for that, I am going to have it done to my mini so I can slam it as low as possible. Think it will look the part what do you reckon, classic styling 10" wheels and low as f**k.

#6 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

I run 13" wheels with slicks (which are big) I tubbed the arches so I can run it low, and I do. but even with my masive wheels you cannot get over speed ramps.

Also to get the front as low as the back will go will also need serious mods.

What I'm sayiong is, tubbed arches are not needed on a road car with 10" wheels. Also tubbibg arches is a pain in the arse and to be avoided to be honest.

Sorry to be so negative, but you'll be thinking "I wish I listend to Wil!" halfway through doinmg it.

Wil

#7 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:13 PM

i agree with will, although mine isn't tubbed it will be slamed to the floor and i can see me turning round when i come to speed humps and i've got 13"! so if ye is going to do it with 10" then i wouldn't really want to use it everyday unless you have perfect roads where you live!

#8 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

i agree with will, although mine isn't tubbed it will be slamed to the floor and i can see me turning round when i come to speed humps and i've got 13"! so if ye is going to do it with 10" then i wouldn't really want to use it everyday unless you have perfect roads where you live!

Ha perfect roads, in England you must be jokin. Our road tax goes on speed cameras not repairing road surfaces. Wont use it everyday, just at weekends/trackdays and shows. How low can you go with 10's on it then?

#9 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

true about the tax! how low do you want to go? off the top of my head i would say go about 3-4" off the floor (measured from the bottom of the floor) just a guess there though. then again considering your only using it for shows go adjustable. go for either hi-los or coilovers then when your driving it about you can rasie it slighty.

#10 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:06 PM

Got hi-lo's and adjustable shox on it at the mo looks nice as it is with 12's but I want to go for 10's when I take it off the road. What do you think of the setup at the mo?
Attached File  DSC00298.JPG   63.76K   14 downloads

Thats as low as I can go at the moment, Ive bust both the arches on the rear when I was givin 4 people a lift scrubbing arches is not a nice sound. Thats why I originally wanted to have the rear arches tubbed so I can stay low with 12's and not worry about the arches but im unsure wha size whels I will put on it now.

#11 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:00 PM

honestly i'd stick with the 12" wheels if you were going to tub it and lower it more. don't think it will need to be tubbed for 10" wheels and if you kept the same height on the hi-los the car would be about an inch or so lower. don't get me wrong it will look the dogs danglies but most people don't consider the downfalls when doing it. (by the way you must be almost touching the bump stops on the front at that height!) as for your current set up i think its fine! it would more than do for me.

heres mine currently ignore the 12" wheels turned inside out was seeing what it might look like with deep dish wheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

think i have about half an inch i can go lower at the back but if i do the i have to wack up the rebound on the shocks. am going 13" so it will be a bit higher.

#12 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:03 PM

honestly i'd stick with the 12" wheels if you were going to tub it and lower it more. don't think it will need to be tubbed for 10" wheels and if you kept the same height on the hi-los the car would be about an inch or so lower.

Hows that then :D :( when 10s are only 18mm smaller in diameter than the 12s, half the difference gives you 9mm or 3/8th inch ( not quite the one inch) then your in a ball park figure of the difference in hight of the car.

#13 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:53 AM

like i said i am only guessing what it might be, i haven't had experience of 10" wheels, so i am only lending my views. to be honest i was waiting for someone to correct me.

#14 JA1987

JA1987

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:53 AM

honestly i'd stick with the 12" wheels if you were going to tub it and lower it more. don't think it will need to be tubbed for 10" wheels and if you kept the same height on the hi-los the car would be about an inch or so lower. don't get me wrong it will look the dogs danglies but most people don't consider the downfalls when doing it. (by the way you must be almost touching the bump stops on the front at that height!) as for your current set up i think its fine! it would more than do for me.

heres mine currently ignore the 12" wheels turned inside out was seeing what it might look like with deep dish wheels

Posted Image

Posted Image

think i have about half an inch i can go lower at the back but if i do the i have to wack up the rebound on the shocks. am going 13" so it will be a bit higher.

Nice lookin motor, have you had your rear arches tubbed? Will look smart when youre done what suspension setup have you got and what size wheels will you be using?

#15 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

as said above going 13" wheels just trying to choose a nice set. running coilovers all round. havent had the arches tubed and don't really plan to. only ever going to have a max of 2 people in the car so don't have to worry about scrubbing. also with the rear sports pack arches it meets where the original arch finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users