#1 Stuart

Stuart

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:15 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to find someone in the UK who would be willing to convert a classic mini to left hand drive. I'm not particularly trying to find a company to do it, but was hoping that there is someone out there who knows their way around mini's and would want to tackle it in their garage over a weekend. If anyone feels up to the challenge and wants to bid the job (only the labour, without parts) feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. If we can find a great guy there might be the opportunity to convert more minis in the future.

Thanks!
Stuart Fenwick

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:27 PM

Where abouts are you based?

#3 TWICEmonkey

TWICEmonkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Local Club: A-Serious.com & TMF

Posted 21 June 2006 - 07:17 PM

His profile says Idaho in the US.

Sounds like he wants to import it after the works done

#4 Stuart

Stuart

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 03:33 AM

His profile says Idaho in the US.

Sounds like he wants to import it after the works done

That's the plan. I brought over a Land Rover earlier this year, and have always wanted to get a mini. Problem is that they have to be 25 years old or older to import, so I've spent a lot of time shopping for the right one. Anyway, trying to find someone who would want to take it on and get a feel for how much the conversion is going to cost.

#5 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:30 AM

Converting over to LHD is not that difficult, things which need changing (off the top of my head) are the steering rack, the piping for the brakes and clutch (would avoid mini's with servo's as that would have to be repositioned), there would be some chopping of the loom, and you may want to change the wipers to park to the left and not right...

The thing which would take the time is redefining the bits which are nolonger near-side but off-side and vice versa.... :(

#6 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:03 AM

yay im usefull!!!
dont forget the headlights the patern will need changing! they will be pointing the wrong way :(
how much fun would that be if you just moved the steering over lol your mates could do all the gas and gears but you control where the car went :D

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:18 AM

Just curious, but why can't you keep it RHD?

#8 Stuart

Stuart

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

Just curious, but why can't you keep it RHD?

Its really not a problem being RHD, but its definitely terrifying to try to pass anybody, you get to dart out into traffic just to check that the lane is clear, then swerve back into your own lane if you find that its not. Its not a problem in my Land Rover, it can't overtake anyone anyways.....

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

(would avoid mini's with servo's as that would have to be repositioned),

I think the servo (remote or direct, not that direct will be old enough) always stays in the same place whether LHD or RHD, there's no where else to put it. Fixing the wipers is pretty easy, just a question of re-building the existing components in a different order and fitting new arms. Although the first flared tube may need to be shortened.

You do need a new clutch pedal. I may have a LHD one lying around here somewhere as there was one fitted to my Mini when I got it for some reason.

I reckon it's not more than a couple of days work once all the parts are tracked down. Harder things to get will be the master cylinder baseplate, clutch line (could be replaced with a long flexible), brake lines (same again), non-master cylinder engine steady bracket (could be replaced with lots and lots of grommets in the existing) and fiddly little bits like that. I think the heater hoses need re-arranging slightly as well.

#10 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:52 PM

couldn't you just import from germany?

#11 Stuart

Stuart

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:12 AM

couldn't you just import from germany?

Thanks everyone for your help, you've been really helpfull giving me a grasp on what it will take to convert a mini. As far as importing one from germany, I'd be interested to hear your opinion, but I was under the impression that transport costs across Germany, out of the country and to a port, would be fairly high. Just looking at ebay.de they seem more expensive and harder to find too. What I would really like to do is find a mini manufactured before 1981 (so it can be imported into the US) that has been upgraded to more modern specs, things like the 3 clock dash, arches and 13's. Its also pretty important to find one in good shape, because once its out of the UK parts and people who know what they're doing become scarse. If anyone sees one someplace other than e-bay, I'd be really interested to hear about it. If any of you ever need something shipped over from the states, I'm here from you! lol Thanks again!
Stuart

#12 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

Are you considering importing this yourself or are you planning on paying someone to do it for you?

I don't wish to detract in any way from this board, but this is a topic more often discussed on the Mini Mania board. (Be sure to check out their Cars For Sale section for corporate sellers). You will find a list of importers there who will configure U.K. cars for export to the U.S. built to your specification. Since most the people on this board have Minis around every corner it's not a topic they're as likely to deal with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users