Photo
- - - - -

Handbrake Is Good Enough But Can Still Be Pushed A Little!

brakes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AJTMini25

AJTMini25

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:38 AM

Hi guys,

So recently I've had new brake shoes, radius arms both sides, new hilo's and cones on the rear and and new handbake cable. I have adjusted the brakes properly and the handbrake cable is as tight as it will go. The handbrake is on 5 clicks (with a bit of strength) and will hold on a slight slope (my drive). The only thing being is that you are still able to push it a little. 

Also, the brackets that attach to the body had been previously welded and they snapped so me and my dad fabricated some supports and knocked it back in to place.

Any ideas would be great!

Cheers,

Andy

#2 MiniGrin

MiniGrin

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Local Club: Loud 'N' Lairy MOC (Sheffield)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:54 AM

5 CLICKS!! who are you, the hulk? If I use both hands and pull as hard as I can, I can get 3, 4 is close but not quite able to get it there..... 5 is crazy :P

#3 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

If this is literally straight after new shoes being fitted, then i suggest you drive around to bed in the new shoes, hopefully that will solve the issue. once sorted, i suggest adjusting up the handbrake a little more to give you 3/4 clicks.

#4 AJTMini25

AJTMini25

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

Anything but the hulk! This is my problem, there seems to be some slack somewhere and and the handbrake cable has no more adjustment left

#5 Miniminx71

Miniminx71

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

In the meantime, leave it in gear. I always do that anyway, just in case something snaps ...

#6 Yoda

Yoda

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Local Club: Medway mini club

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:21 PM

How did you adjust the brakes. Hopefully by the adjusters in the drums and not just the hand brake. If you have only used the handbrake to adjust the rears then this could be your issue. Also hopefully your repair to the handbrake bracketry has not moved the handbrake lever toward the back of the car! this will affect the amount of adjustment you have available.

Maybe you need to start over. slacken the handbrake off again and adjust the rear drums on both side until you get a small amount of drag when trying to turn the drum by hand. keep turning and adjusting until the drag is even all round. Then, you can have another shot at the handbrake. If this does not solve the problem, then maybe you need to replace the handbake cabling due to stretching, or the repair has maybe moved the lever back a tad. It does not take much to affect cable length and adjustment.

Edit. Just re read your original post. so everything is already new and properly adjusted! I suggest looking at the position of the brake lever then if you have run out of adjustment. Another thing to check is that the cables are properly fitted to the quadrants on the radius arms and the cable guide on the subframe.

Edited by Yoda, 25 June 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#7 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,827 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

If this is literally straight after new shoes being fitted, then i suggest you drive around to bed in the new shoes, hopefully that will solve the issue. once sorted, i suggest adjusting up the handbrake a little more to give you 3/4 clicks.

And it'll take a fair old bit of driving to bed them in properly so they are uniform across all the shoe.

#8 '74 Mini 1000

'74 Mini 1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

Just did more or less the same job, how much driving to bed in the shoes, I did all four corners!

#9 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

Some people say drive around resting your left foot on the brake, I would only do this once you were on the open road, I certainly wouldn't do it in a hilly area as if you have to brake going down a hill for something and there already nicely heated up, it might get a bit interesting, just drive normally, don't forget that your brakes aren't going to be as good as they were initially and just brake a bit more than you normally would

#10 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Just did more or less the same job, how much driving to bed in the shoes, I did all four corners!

I must have done 400miles on mine, they are no where near bedded in yet.

#11 '74 Mini 1000

'74 Mini 1000

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

That sucks ass, I presume it's safe to drive, just not on the limit???

#12 Gremlin

Gremlin

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

It's the only reasonable way to bed them in, if still not bedded in after 400 miles, some extreme circumstances must be involved

#13 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

It's the only reasonable way to bed them in, if still not bedded in after 400 miles, some extreme circumstances must be involved

Not at all, I'm just not heavy on brakes.  I'm into anticipation far too much :-)

#14 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

• Members
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:23 AM

That sucks ass, I presume it's safe to drive, just not on the limit???

Exactly the same as if you were bedding some new tyres in, take it easy for a while.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users