2 replies to this topic

#1 Bob the mini

Bob the mini

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:13 AM

Ok so have started to strip car, needs front floor pan, inner, outer sills (full length ) jacking points and rear quarter work on both sides oh and the usual patches in boot floorAttached File  image.jpg   58.73K   18 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   73.67K   14 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   73.92K   12 downloads
Just had quote of about £1000 plus panels, this is option 1 or option 2 is to buy a rollover jig and replace the floor both sides with m machine or heritage parts with the inner and outer sill complete and do this my self. This would be my first welding project.
What do think? Option 1 or 2?

#2 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Have a practice at welding.

There will be other welding projects for you to take on in the future.

It's a pity you're so far away, I have a roll over spit for sale

#3 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

i would do option 2 looking at your pictures I could see your bill rising quite a bit. You don't need to use a roll over jig but for a beginner it would certainly make things a lot easier.

The key to a good job is preperation, cutting the rust out completely and accurate aligning of the replacement panels. The welding part although is important can be cleaned up to look pretty good.

Plenty of practice on scrap metal to get the basics right would be my first step

David

Edited by R1mini, 26 June 2014 - 10:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users