13 replies to this topic

#1 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:36 PM

The front suspension has collapsed on our 1976 Mini 1000. We compressed the doughnut earlier and when we undid the compression tool the nut in the doughnut went bang and is no longer in there. The trumpet also dislodged itself and is now at an angle. Errr... how do I get the trumpet out if I can't compress the doughnut?

Thanks, Paul.

#2 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:41 PM

Something has to be sacrificed!

#3 minimender

minimender

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.M.

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

Could try drilling loads of holes in the rubber with woodbit or something to try and soften it, would have to almost drill it away if that were possible.

#4 Webstercon

Webstercon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:27 PM

"Just" dismantle the suspension, might be a little difficult if it's under pressure but with a collapsed cone it should be easy enough I never had the tool and managed to remove my front cones.
IIRC: Jack up the hub to take the pressure off the shock absorber - remove the shock absorber if the cone and doughnut don't fall out you may need to remove the top arm

#5 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:38 PM

I have tried jacking up the front suspension and removing the shock absorber. The cone has tilted over at an angle so it's wedged in there and won't budge. The thing which is limiting it now is the fact that the driveshaft is hitting on the suspension so I can't drop it enough to release the cone. To get the hub off the driveshaft you need to compress the cone and I can't do that.

Cheers, Paul.

#6 exuptoy

exuptoy

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:45 PM

I think you need to destroy the cone with a hacksaw or something then replace with HI-LO's and new donuts.

#7 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I don't see how you can get at the cone it's in the back of beyond?

#8 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

Well I've managed to get the rubber cone and trumpet out but I went to rather extreme measures not to butcher it...

2pop56c.jpg

I couldn't get it out as it was and needed more access. The trumpet was damaged when it wasn't seated properly and I released the pressure on the cone, so I'm going to replace it as I'm not happy putting it back knowing it's damaged.

The moral to the story is to make sure the trumpet is seated properly when releasing the pressure on the cone. Lesson learnt and I shall try not to do it again!!

I also managed to strip the threads on the compression tool I had so now I'm going to buy a more expensive Pickavant one. Anybody used one and got any comments?

Paul.

#9 Webstercon

Webstercon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

Glad to see it's all done, it's always worth doing a job the long and more complicated way if it avoids damage IMO.

Maybe you should invest in a set of front hi-los as it would eliminate the need for the tool, allow for adjustable ride height and would probably work out cheaper than buying a new tool and trumpet, ofcourse this would mean taking off the other trumpet but I'm sure it's easy enough with the subframe already out. 
Nice looking car by the way!  :proud:

#10 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

I do have to take the other side apart because all the newly replaced rubber on the front suspension has perished... http://www.theminifo...s-rubber-parts/ And I also have to drop the rear subframe to replace the rubber there too grrrrrr

I shall investigate these HiLo contraptions you mentioned as I don't know anything about them. If they allow you to set the ride height that would be good because the new cones I fitted make the car sit very high.

Cheers, Paul.

Edited by PaulColeman, 09 July 2014 - 07:17 AM.

#11 Webstercon

Webstercon

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:35 PM

With new cones you may need the compressor, with my spring kit I didn't need a tool I set the hi-los to their lowest setting pop the spring (which replaces the doughnut) up and then the hi-lo in and wind it out until it holds, not sure if this will work with cones but they are superb for adjusting the ride height.

As for the rubber parts perishing I brought a poly bush kit for mine fairly cheap but have yet to test them out, people will argue the merits and drawbacks of poly bushes but for me I think they're ideal. It's a shame about the rubbers though the car looks mint! 

#12 PaulColeman

PaulColeman

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

I'm hoping they will cure a problem I have on the rears where the ride height is so high with the new cones that the shock is fully extended and when you go over a bump it bangs, which is obviously not doing the shock a lot of good!!

They should be here today so I'd better get the spanners ready...

Cheers, Paul.

#13 Fossy313

Fossy313

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

even hard going classic goers switch to hi lo's to get the suspention to the height it should be without letting the cones bed in, they are a part that should be fitted on sandard in mini IMO....

minisport ones although i am an avid spares fan have a greese nipple on them which allows you to keep the thread and hi lo's greesed....very good and beneficial added point.

#14 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

In future, just take the top arm off and you can get at it rather easily. :lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users