Photo

Do I Need A Clear Coat Or Laquer When Spraying Cellulose Colour Coat

Best Answer KernowCooper , 06 July 2014 - 09:04 PM

No cellulose does not use any lacquer as a final coat, thats the beaty of it, you can cut it back and repolish it up

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

Hi, when spraying cellulose colour coats do you need to apply any sort of protective Top Coa? I have heard of Clear Coat (don't know what it is) and Laquer.
Areas are, under body, inside and outside.
I'll be applying a Colour Top Coat over my Stonechip on the underside first before i get around to the inside and outside of the Mini.

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:04 PM   Best Answer

No cellulose does not use any lacquer as a final coat, thats the beaty of it, you can cut it back and repolish it up

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Clear coat and lacquer are the same thing by the way, Just two different names for it :-) 

#4 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

Thanks guys,

Just been up to my locally recommended paint supplier, the guy behind the counter (poss the boss?) has been in the spray paint business for 50 years.

Happy to offer loads of advice and answered all my questions, some of them pretty dumb. He even gave me a demo of how to pour paint from a pre mixed 1 Ltr can into a mixing cup without leaving any mess, very simple DIY solution involving masking tape and some card - brilliant :-)

He too mentioned cutting the paint and even discussed how years ago they used Brasso and not for your buttons :-)

After explaining what and how I planned to tackle my painting over various stages to spread the cost he offered some really good solutions for my Subframe all good but varying costs that will actually save me money compared to what I was planning.

A really nice bloke. 

Edited by JonnyAlpha, 07 July 2014 - 04:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users