180 replies to this topic

#61 minimarkybecks

minimarkybecks

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:22 PM

I have had the same problem, but also with parts from Mini Sport as well.

I put new complete front hubs on the front. Supplied by Mini Sport.

The CV Boots are badly cracked after only 1 year! 6 months of that in stored in the garage!

The steering rack boots on my new rack from Mini Spares started cracking after just a couple of years.

I guess they just dont make them like they used to!

Mark.

#62 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:46 PM

I have had the same problem, but also with parts from Mini Sport as well.

All these rubber parts much be coming from the same main supplier, as I bet the most of them were supplied in nothing more than sealed, clear plastic bags with no branding/manufacture details etc. So you don't know who made them, what quality they are and have zero traceability.

#63 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:06 PM

I renewed all my old  rear sub frame bushes last year less than 6 months later I find myself doing the same job due to the rubbish quality

I also noticed today that my fuel tank rubber is splitting   

#64 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

I renewed all my old  rear sub frame bushes last year less than 6 months later I find myself doing the same job due to the rubbish quality

I replaced my rear subframe bushes for black poly ones 10 or so years ago, never had to touch them (apart from subframe removal) again since.

Although, my 32 year old original rubber fuel tank seal is getting to the point of replacement, but in a dilemma of bodge the old one with sealant or buy several new ones and replace them on an annual basis.

#65 Rocket.

Rocket.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:59 PM

Although, my 32 year old original rubber fuel tank seal is getting to the point of replacement, but in a dilemma of bodge the old one with sealant or buy several new ones and replace them on an annual basis.

Starting to wish I'd never replaced my tank rubber

There wasn't anything wrong with the old one I just figured a new one would look better, Looks even worse now !

#66 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:03 AM

Will it take someone losing their life or be seriously injured before this problem is addressed?

I find it hard to believe that it is not possible to manufacture, in this case, rubber seals and gaiters that are durable enough to give a reasonable lifespan.

I understand that rubber compounds have been altered to remove certain chemicals for environmental reasons.

But modern cars have rubber seals, etc that don't fail after a year or two.

I would have thought companies like Minispares and Rimmer Brothers had enough clout to either manufacture or get manufactured parts that last a reasonable amount of time.

But if these companies are prepared to stick their necks out, we have to be prepared to pay extra.

But before any of that can happen we have to complain and not put up with defective items.

I think it's up to us to start the ball rolling.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 23 June 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#67 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

Being a student I always try to find the best deals and get the best 'line' between quality and price.
But hell, I'd happely pay extra to get durable parts!
My original knuckle dust gaiters are still in perfect shape, my new ones start cracking already, this is outragous. I haven't driven the car more than 100 km due to personal problems and a very imoortant suspension item is already failing.
I would rename this thread to " QUality of classic car rubber parts' tho, because other cars seem to, adly, suffer the same problem nowadays :(

#68 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

Will it take someone losing their life or be seriously injured before this problem is addressed?

And then its a case of proving it. I made one mini supplier aware that they were selling the crap wheel bearings (suggesting that they weren't and were of O.E standard) that if fitted and made to work would be dangerous and fail/fall apart quite quickly if used. But according to them there's never been a problem with the wheels bearings and it must be down to other worn components or the person who fitted them not being trained/qualified etc.

It used to be widely said that you couldn't buy parts from shows or eBay or you had to be careful, because of the unknown quality parts. But if you can't buy spares from the big mini retailers for the exact same reasons on the rubbish quality, then what are you supposed to do? With even the youngest mini being 16 years old now, buying genuine second-hand from ones broken for spares or  new old stock original parts isn't really an option anymore.

#69 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 12:10 PM

I did not realize the problem with rubber was so widespread. I thought I was just unlucky. My wife drives Golfs and I have never had to change the driveshaft boots on them (thankfully) However my minis' boots need regular replacement. I can't think it is just they are more exposed in a mini. My bump stops disintegrated before they got near an MOT when I was rebuilding a Pick up. (Not as exciting as the brand new brake reservoir that exploded, tho) Price is a factor, but so is time. It is a pain stripping a hub and CV joint off a driveshaft. I looked at the Sealey tool after the last time.

#70 666junky

666junky

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 01:39 PM

The little rubber buffers under the top arm (not the big cone shaped one) have turned to a mushy mess in less than a year. Ive also found other rubber bits fading away too :(

#71 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

That is unacceptable as the rebound stops are safety critical and failure may lead to broken ball joints. Clearly the supplier cares neither for their own reputation nor the lives and well-being of their customers. I strongly recommend writing them a letter stating the facts and that the items concerned were not of merchantable quality and fit for purpose, and let them know that if they don't sort it out you will be contacting Trading Standards.

The next thing might be to see if VOSA has the power to order a mandatory recall of all defective safety-critical parts. That would effectively wipe out their business, which frankly would be well-deserved.

#72 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 03:54 PM

That is unacceptable as the rebound stops are safety critical and failure may lead to broken ball joints. Clearly the supplier cares neither for their own reputation nor the lives and well-being of their customers. I strongly recommend writing them a letter stating the facts and that the items concerned were not of merchantable quality and fit for purpose, and let them know that if they don't sort it out you will be contacting Trading Standards.

The next thing might be to see if VOSA has the power to order a mandatory recall of all defective safety-critical parts. That would effectively wipe out their business, which frankly would be well-deserved.

#73 Alpenflitzer

Alpenflitzer

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Local Club: no

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:30 PM

Regarding the steering rack gaiters I found au source:

The gaiters are from FIAT TIPO II (188), they fit. The gaiters are produced by Lemförder Germany, part nbr. 3017001.

They seem to be a much better quality.

From a company named Spidan it is part nbr83577    .  They are the same from Daihatsu Charade (G10)  1.o Litres, 1987-1993 nbr. 83720.  see   http://www.teilehabe...0-src16497.html

But I have no experience with their quality.

LEMFÖRDER  -as far as I can remember - also produces the outer CV-joints together with the rubber. I will try to get some info on these.

Outer CV joint from 

GKN Nr. 20896 with rubber approx 125 Euros ( http://de.trost.com/)    article nbr 20896  EAN 4019064008958 producer Spidan for Mini 1993, 1.3 SPI

External teeth wheelside = 29     Internal   "         "             = 19

MAPCO Outer CV joint Kit   ROVER MINI 1000    über ebay     ....  per piece 47 Euros (2013)  (mapco.de)

Einbauseite: vorne; Gelenkart: CV joint   incl. rubber , fat, pin and binding stuff and even with new wheel bolt.

Referenznummer(n) OE:

ROVER 27H7567, ROVER BAU2018, ROVER BAU4444, ROVER BAU4444EVA, 

Edited by Alpenflitzer, 23 June 2016 - 05:21 PM.

#74 robminibcy

robminibcy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:10 PM

that's very helpful^ I tried to find similar products when swapping my CVs boots not realising the that CVs came with boots so I just used them when they need replacing (next year probably!) I will look at main stream cars instead. Lemforder are pretty much as good as it gets, they are the oe supplier to the vw group as well as many others. Ive brought their stuff from car parts 4less /ecp and sometimes the VW part numbers are still on them (they are normally ground of or removed if not sold direct to VW!).

#75 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Would it be possible to make silicone versions?
Not sure about cv's but surely dust covers...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users