#1 Volf

Volf

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:18 AM

Ok, Some one settle this convo for me.

Chatting with a friend about my mini. He said whilst driving behind me, It looks like my rear sub frame is bent, so Im crabbing to the left. I explain that all minis crab to some point, some worse than others. I explain why they crab and then he says.

"Youve bent its chassis!"

...Corect me if Im worng, but Minis dont have chassis. I always thought that it sorta came in 3 parts:

The Body, The rear sub frame and frount sub frame.

A car with a chassis, is basily all one lump with a body?

Anyway, I keep explaining that to him and he still is adamint that minis have a chassis!

So, can anyone settle it? And can anyone turly explain why Minis crab?!

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:37 AM

all cars crab to some degree. its basically down to production tolerances. On a few of them, There is the facility to adjust some misalignments out of the chassis, but these are mostly expensive (so not done) or a compromise (so not worth doing!)

All cars have a "chassis". A chassis is the backbone of the construction of the vehicle. However, the traditional "definition" of the chassis is that of the ladder chassis (with the body then *dumped* on top!), which the Mini most definately does not have. The Mini is a Monocoque or Unibody "chassis" design.

#3 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:13 AM

All minis look like they are crabbing , it is an optical illusion caused by the rear end of the mini beeing narrower than the front and then being viewed off centre (drivers or passenger seat of following car)

#4 minipip

minipip

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • Local Club: TMF SE

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:26 AM

mine actually crabs :D especcialy under hard breaking, one of my front brakes is knackered, lol nm, i when i was doing my driving test i was talking to the examiner about minis and aparently it is a common occurence, have you had the rear subby mounts changed recently? or just one side replaced, his was doing it majorly and he fixed it by wacking some spacers/washers to strighten it, i may be subby mounts worn it may just be an illusion but other than that cant imagine how its too dangerous, as long as you know where your car is (spatial awareness) and it doesnt crab too much. as for proving your point get the haynes manual it has a piccy of both front and rear subbys, and say 'ha ha ha look not a single fixed chassis.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users