#1 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:17 AM

Hello

I've had a bit of a search round and can't find anything on this.

I'm having an idea of trying to make the rear window flip open or a rear side one to open out all the way so I can get access to the back seat area. Basically my tilt bucket seats are busted and need replacing and was gonna get some fixed cobras or something like that. But having this I will not be able to get stuff into the back. I need this area for storage as we go camping and surfing when we can and the car get's jammed full of kit.

Anyone got any ideas for how I can do it or has anyone actually done it before?? :D

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

You'd need to get some sort of frame made up, like the opening rear quarters, to which you could attach hinges to. I can't see it making a great access point either.

Roof rack?

#3 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:27 AM

You'd need to get some sort of frame made up, like the opening rear quarters, to which you could attach hinges to. I can't see it making a great access point either.

Roof rack?

Should be a big enough hole to get stuff in and out. Can't really put stuff on the roof racks as mine and the girlfriends surfboards are up there.

#4 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:35 AM

sh1troen AX's have their hatch back windows hinged with no frame could this be done to mini glass? :D

#5 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:20 PM

lol, do it like the safari style VW Bus split windows :D so they swing up
(little wings!!! )

#6 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:53 PM

How about getting the opening rear side windows for a standard mini and then moding them so i can open them all the way out. Not really looked at any mini's with these. Think it could be possible. The problem with the main rear opening is sealing it.

#7 The Fat Leodensian

The Fat Leodensian

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

I looked into this myself (making rear window into a flap). I decided that sealing could be done with rear quarter window rubbers, the catch at the bottom could be two rear quarter window catches adapted to quick release, and the hinges could be sourced from another car (possibly a Reliant).
I very nearly strarted this project untill my dad reminded me that:..

1. There was no-way i could drill holes in the rear screen without it exploding into a million bits.
2. The glass is smaller than the hole (unlike the rear quarters)

I toyed around with using different glues to fix the glass to the hinges, and even had a hunt around our glass/frame factory for something to make an outer frame for the screen out of.
After a bit i gave up and went for a pint.

Al

#8 MaryQuant88

MaryQuant88

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:22 PM

The works Rally minis did this didnt they? ^_^

But the removed the whole glass out.

P.S dont get Cobra seats, especially the Monacco's Uncomfertable as hell if your going further than your local shop, Get some Magnum seats :D

#9 ginger_monkey

ginger_monkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

The problem I have with the seats is price. This is kinda an MOT quicky as the dreaded test is coming soon. Does anyone know of any good places/sites I would be able to source a pair of bucket seats that ain't gonna kill my back and arse at an ok price?? Let me get my credit card out :D

With the window question I might go the side window way and mod some bracket as they are already on a small hinge so they can open a crack. I'll just go from there. Been walking round my mini and think it's gonna be better that way as like you've said the rear could be more trouble than it's worth.

Is mine a MK3 as i've seen some windows and rubber for sale. I've got a Mreg 94 carb sprite.

#10 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:03 PM

my cobra clubmans are really damn comfortable, i've been on 3 hour trips and only ached a little but who doesnt after 3 hours driving, it all the depends on what sorta body you have, as to what seats you get, go to a rally/race shop and sit in as many different seats as possible, but i agree that the monaco's are uncomfortable

gaz

#11 jack_marshall

jack_marshall

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

So if you cant get to the back cause of seats.. How will you get to open the catches?

#12 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

what about a big hole in the roof for geting things in ?

Posted Image

#13 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

get some thin walled aluminium "U" section from a hardware shop, A little over size for the thickness of the window (but only a little oversize so you can use some sealant to hold it in.

Attach a couple of brackets to the bottom side that will "hook" over the frame on the body, and you could mount a lock or two to the top side that would "hold" it in place. (or even drill though and mount some dzus fasteners on there somehow) Fit a seal similar to the rear side windows onto the frame, and away you go!

I tend to agree that it's not an easy access point though for something that is on the rear seat base area. Its a long way to lean in over the parcel shelf. But If it's your only way........

#14 v8mini

v8mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Local Club: Minis on the run

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

how about cutting the rear seat back out, and then you can load in via the boot ??

#15 mini-gti

mini-gti

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:50 PM

i think you then will have to build a firewall round the fuel tank

gaz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users