#1 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

Hey guys this is the question, can i get away with patching the hole in my A panels and front wings till i can afford to fix them the correct way? i really want to get on the road for the rest of the summer and fix it in the winter.... HELP!!!

If photo will help, they are in the project section, follow the link

http://www.theminifo...5&gopid=310981

Cheers

Yeti

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:06 PM

People in the U.K. will have to comment on the legality of patching those holes. Were you in the U.S. you'd have no problems pumping the area full of Bondo and painting over the plug. That would get you street legal but the patch would not last long.

Those are enormous holes and the only proper way of fixing them is with fresh metal. You do need to plan on some extensive repairs. Cars with the external hinges require inner and outer A-panels. Replacing them without removing the wings is possible but not easy. With the amount of rust coming through, you can expect the bolts/studs to break off in your door hinges when you go to remove them.

I'm not trying to be the voice of doom-&-gloom but you are looking at more work than the A-panels alone.

#3 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

Yep, you should be able to patch them, P38 or P60 would be fine for most of them as a tempory repair.

#4 Yeti

Yeti

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Local Club: I don't play well with others

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

For the A panels the plan is to weld in some new metal and cover the patch over with a small layer of filler. The wings will get the Fibre glass treatment :D , but in a few months it will be time to have the whole front end off.

Yeti

#5 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

Not to question your plan, but external hinge cars have inner and outer A-panels sandwiched together. By the time you see holes like your car has, there's very little left to weld to. Remember also that the weight of the door is carried on those panels so don't count on any Bondo repairs to last very long.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users