Photo
- - - - -

Early 's' Cv/drive Flange Mismatch?

Best Answer mini-mad-mark , 22 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Thanks all, when i change the 8.4 in the car for the 7.5 I will check to see what happens

Don't think they are 7.0 cooper discs - as someone said above they use the drum CV which is much smaller - the "interference is only slight"

I did test earlier by tightening the flange onto the non-worn used CV (didn't want to damage the new ones!!) and it went on with a spanner its just too tight to do by hand, so I think all is correct just a slight mismatch in tolerances.

Cheers, Mark

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Not sure if I can explain this clearly but here goes....

I am just refurbing/putting together a set of 7.5 S discs for my mini which I got without driveshafts.

I believe they may be early S discs as they had Mk 1 steering arms fitted when I got them.

I had a set of 8.4 discs as well so thought i would use the CVs from those for test fitting/wheeling the car around but also bought new CVs for proper use.

When I came to fit the S drive flanges they dont seem to go down the new CV far enough as though the bore of the drive flange is too small to go over the CV.

On one of the old CV joints from the 8.4 discs, the shaft is worn at the end and the flange will fit on that one.

Either 8.4 flange fits any of the CVs but neither of the S flanges will fit the new CVs or the non-worn used one

It looks like the drive flanges werent turned out sufficiently (behind the splines)

Anyone got any ideas?

I have access to machining facilities at work so can bore out the flange slaightly or worst case buy new ones (I'm on a bit of a budget!!)

No photos because its difficult/impossible inside the drive flange (D'oh)

Added:

Most of my minis have had drum brakes (yes I'm that old that we couldn't afford discs back in the day - before 8.4 discs) but I may have missed something here - is the drive flange supposed to be an interference fit onto the CV - i.e is it supposed to be a tight fit and its just that one of the CVs and both the 8.4 drive flanges are worn that they will fit?

Having read the forum threads now about the large flat washer it seems that is its purpose - to push the drive flange onto the CV

If this makes sense I could do with a thunmbs up before I screw up something

Cheers, Mark

Edited by mini-mad-mark, 20 July 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#2 AFMike85

AFMike85

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Sounds like a Cooperman question

#3 ado15

ado15

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

The CV should be the same for both 7.5" and 8.4".

The large flat washer is purely to stop the split taper washer gripping the shaft while pulling up new bearings. It isn't to pull down an interference fit.

Sounds like the new S flanges aren't machined correctly.

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,497 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

Yup as ADO15 states it sounds like component QC fault!

#5 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

Are you 100% sure they are 7.5's and not 7.0's ....the very early cooper discs that used 7.0 inch discs used drum brake CV's, thats smaller than a 7.5 / 8.4 CV in a number of ways?

Sorry if you have checked that already. 

You can use the 8.4" hub, with a 7.5" disc + Drive flange and caliper, so if you have a set of 8.4's lying about all is not lost if they are a mismatch of 7's and 7.5's.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

Are you 100% sure they are 7.5's and not 7.0's ....the very early cooper discs that used 7.0 inch discs used drum brake CV's, thats smaller than a 7.5 / 8.4 CV in a number of ways?

Sorry if you have checked that already. 

You can use the 8.4" hub, with a 7.5" disc + Drive flange and caliper, so if you have a set of 8.4's lying about all is not lost if they are a mismatch of 7's and 7.5's.

My immediate thought... You have Cooper disk brakes and not Cooper S

#7 mini-mad-mark

mini-mad-mark

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Local Club: northants wot no brakes

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:36 PM   Best Answer

Thanks all, when i change the 8.4 in the car for the 7.5 I will check to see what happens

Don't think they are 7.0 cooper discs - as someone said above they use the drum CV which is much smaller - the "interference is only slight"

I did test earlier by tightening the flange onto the non-worn used CV (didn't want to damage the new ones!!) and it went on with a spanner its just too tight to do by hand, so I think all is correct just a slight mismatch in tolerances.

Cheers, Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users