#136 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

no not long term it will cook the sensor. well spotted. it simply wouldn't fit anywhere else! i will attempt perhaps under the car near the gear lever later. i can always blank it off.

i wasn't intending to have it connected long term anyway.

#137 jamier-2007

jamier-2007

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: South East Minis

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

I like the V-Band exhaust clamps  :highfive:    What sort of boost you hoping for?

#138 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:27 PM

i hope not to blow it up so from what i have seen on the micra forums it will take with stock internals 10psi to 12psi. so I'm going to around 8-10.

i have a spare engine though.....  O_O

#139 jamier-2007

jamier-2007

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Local Club: South East Minis

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

2 Headgaskets work really well, sounds dirty I know but they take it really well. Lowers the compression so you can run some more boost :)

#140 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

interesting, but to be honest the power without the turbo is fine, anything i get from the turbo is a bonus so we will see.

i also wanted to keep the off-boost performance up so keeping it standard might be fine for the moment.

#141 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

#142 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

clutch slip but still ..... booooooooost!

#143 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

I think i have finally figured out the handling. the rear sub-frame was bendable by hand! surface rust and a copy part before my time with the car are to blame. 

Tuning next.

Had some luck with the clutch slip. drilled a hole in the clutch arm and mounted the hydraulic puller further down the arm. this meant that less / no pre load on the clutch to make it actuate enough. Its made the clutch pedal quite stiff though. Still its now not slipping on boost.

I relocated the lambda sensor to under the car away from the heat of the turbo.

Tuning at the moment is done via a knowledgable mate sat with a laptop in the passenger seat, i use the brake to keep engine rpm at the same speed with the other variable the accelerator position. this increases load and keeps the tuning cells in line. quite difficult as a driver to do this and punishing on the car! full boost against the brakes for prolonged periods is odd!

in other news i have machined the allspeed drive shafts to fit normal pot joints, they appear to be made to use 2x cir-clip style pot joints which the standard micra doesnt have. its one side cir-clip and one side CV style spring clip. all i had to do was convince my mate with the lathe to cut out the channel another 2mm so the spring clip can fit in it under compression.

I feel so much safer now i have proper drive shafts not the cut-n-shut ones. I'm sure they are fine for a normal engine but with the turbo it concerned me.

First track day for quite a few years on september the 5th at Blyton park.... so harnesses and bucket seats on order. Might even roll cage it up.

#144 al_reidy

al_reidy

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Ok so all going well... fitted cage, bucket seats, harnesses.

Tuned a bit on the road and with stock boost pressure its very quick,  lots more to come as its about half the pressure i am told the engine can take with stock internals! AAAHHH!!!

so i don't think i need all the old bits. Up for sale if anyone wants them :

Engine and gear box - 75k Miles CG13DE 1.3 from 1995 micra.

ECU and Engine Loom - No-NATS - cut up with labels on how to wire up.

Stock Throttle body and inlet manifold - will either need mod to manifold or bulkhead to use.

Drive shafts cut-n-shut professionally welded with CV joints and Pot Joints attached.

Exhaust manifold hack- not a good flow but it works attaches to standard mini exhaust.

New stock Lambda sensor - did about 100 miles!

Gear lever assembly from Micra - not cut up but i can provide help on how to do this.

£350 for the lot - collection only from Leeds area.

#145 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

If I buy a mini shortly can you quickly stick a 1.3 micra turbo into it  :D pretty pleasseee :).

Gotta say it was awesome reading this thread from start to finish. Hopefully I can find a decent pre 75 mini for sale and get to work on a micra swap, hopefully adding a turbo like you have. I say get to work, I have no knowledge when it comes to this stuff so will have to find someone with the know how to do that for me :( lol.

#146 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:15 PM

If I buy a mini shortly can you quickly stick a 1.3 micra turbo into it  :D pretty pleasseee :).

Gotta say it was awesome reading this thread from start to finish. Hopefully I can find a decent pre 75 mini for sale and get to work on a micra swap, hopefully adding a turbo like you have. I say get to work, I have no knowledge when it comes to this stuff so will have to find someone with the know how to do that for me :( lol.

If you need an exhaust or plenum making up for a turbo setup just let me know.

I'll be starting on N/A micra manifold in a couple of weeks, so I'll work out a turbo manifold whilst I'm at it.

#147 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

If you need an exhaust or plenum making up for a turbo setup just let me know.

I'll be starting on N/A micra manifold in a couple of weeks, so I'll work out a turbo manifold whilst I'm at it.

I have no idea what a plenum is but yeah I'd definitely bear that in mind mate cheers! Just need to find me a pre 75 mini to get started.

Also what turbo is the best one to go for? I'm assuming something very common so replacements are easy to come by?

#148 matty...

matty...

Super Mini Mad

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis

Posted 06 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

If you're looking for an old mini for tax exempt reasons, you may want to look into whether it would still be eligible with an engine conversion, as they are clamping down massively on this currently!

For a 1.3 something like the GT1752 used above is ideal, for a 1.0L something like a GT1544 is a good size.

#149 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:08 PM

If you're looking for an old mini for tax exempt reasons, you may want to look into whether it would still be eligible with an engine conversion, as they are clamping down massively on this currently!

That's one of the reasons the Micra engine is a good conversion - it can be done without modifying the body so there should be no registration issues to worry about.

Iain

#150 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 12:22 PM

That's one of the reasons the Micra engine is a good conversion - it can be done without modifying the body so there should be no registration issues to worry about.

Iain

That's spot on Iain, just the response I needed to hear :D. Best keep my eye out on pre 75 examples. What tax do people pay on their minis? I'm interested to know if I am actually saving much.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users