#1 Scotth93

Scotth93

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:10 AM

Hi there,
I have a 1.2 sxi 52 plate corsa c as my main car. I have recently got a new job and I'm gonna start restoring my mini. Would it be be possible\worth using my corsa engine for an engine conversion? I really don't have a budget on the mini bud wouldn't want to spend more than 6k to fully restore it.

Can any one recommend the best conversion?

Cheers Scott.

#2 Scotth93

Scotth93

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

I should add, I'm not looking for a race car. Just something with a bit of power and fun to drive!

#3 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

A 52 plate corsa would be a Z series engine if I am not mistaken and should be on an F series gearbox.

It would bolt into an allspeed frame but you will have all the same problems as other Vauxhall engines. Your main one being getting the inlet manifold to fit (bike throttle bodies are usually the solution).

One issue you will have with the z series is that the throttle is fly by wire, not an actual throttle cable. You can change it to a normal throttle body but then you will have to sort out the engine management side of things.

Yes it could be done but for all the effort I would personally go and find yourself a mk4 astra with an x16xe engine in it. You can pick them up for under £500 and probably sell enough parts (wheels, bumpers, lights, etc) off the donor vehicle to cover the cost of it. You will probably get a better final drive ratio from the astra as well compared to the corsa.

#4 Scotth93

Scotth93

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Cheers it's just a thought. Want something that sounds good and drives fast lol.

#5 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

You will get somewhere between 65-79bhp depending on the model of corsa engine. Its the same kind of power you would get from a mildly tuned 1275 which would probably be less hassle than fitting a vauxhall engine.

I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just saying that for all the effort, you could spend £500 on a donor car and build a vauxhall conversion with a 1.6 litre engine which will give you 105 bhp in standard form. It will take the same effort to fit the 1.6 as it would the 1.2. With both conversions you would have to remove the engine from the donor car, build up the driveshafts, modify the gearlinkage, wiring, pluming, fit the radiator, fit the sub frame to the car, etc, etc.

I have had a look at the corsa 1.2 engine. They are not the same as the 1.4-1.8 but they bolt up to the same gearboxes. This means worse case scenario you have to fabricate 1 engine mount to bolt it into an all speed frame.

If you did use an all speed frame, you could always change the 1.2 for anything up to a 1.8 litre small block later on. They all use the same frame and drive shafts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users