194 replies to this topic

#76 Pottrell

Pottrell

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

Well, the car is still with the garage and new inner/outer sills are being fitted along with the jacking points! Hopefully it all goes well :)

#77 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:00 PM

Oversills. They're on both my cars (put on by previous owners). I'm not looking forward to to the opening up ! Felix (my next project) has sill woes as you can see, so the floor edge, outer and inner sills will need doing, along with quite a few other panels.

39DD1AE8-C6D8-4274-8A8F-46E7F72D7B5E.jpg

Edited by Carlos W, 10 November 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#78 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Oversills. They're on both my cars (put on by previous owners). I'm not looking forward to to the opening up ! Felix (my next project) has sill woes as you can see, so the floor edge, outer and inner sills will need doing, along with quite a few other panels.

39DD1AE8-C6D8-4274-8A8F-46E7F72D7B5E.jpg

That's had a poor inner sill repair too.

People say very good things about the inner and outer sill all in one repair piece. I think it's from M-machine

#79 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yeah I've seen it Carlos. The inner sill repairs are really poor. They've got the odd spot weld here and there but thats about it. I bought the car in bits with the shell having had plenty of 'home repairs'. I think I'll be starting again with most of it.

I'll be needing a rollover jig. Seen them ones at Handling Solutions which look the dogs, but I'll need to save some cash for one.

Edited by Stu., 10 November 2014 - 08:17 PM.

#80 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 08:45 PM

Yeah I've seen it Carlos. The inner sill repairs are really poor. They've got the odd spot weld here and there but thats about it. I bought the car in bits with the shell having had plenty of 'home repairs'. I think I'll be starting again with most of it.

I'll be needing a rollover jig. Seen them ones at Handling Solutions which look the dogs, but I'll need to save some cash for one.

I made my own. 

If you can weld well enough to repair a car, you can make a jig

#81 Stu.

Stu.

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

Yes, I thought about that as a  possibly. I'll look into a cutting list and steel prices. Thanks Carlos.

#82 benm

benm

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

How simple is it to cut the oversill off? Just a matter of cutting it off making sure not to go too far in and hitting the inner?

After making an initial slice with a slitting wheel, I was able to grip my oversill with a pliers and peel it off! Like opening a tin of corned beef :o

#83 Pottrell

Pottrell

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:03 AM

Well, cars been sent back into the garage to have its driverside oversills removed and new inner/outer sills put in. Overall, removing 2 oversills, 2 inner sills, cleaning all metal up, welding 2 new inner sills, welding 2 new outer sills, priming, painting and coating has cost me around £900.. For the work done and the quality (it looks brand new and original), worth it.

Edited by Pottrell, 16 November 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#84 amasterjedi

amasterjedi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

After reading this topic my mini has oversills on.:( so what do I do..? Reading some posts people have talked about' slotting the sill allowing drainage/airflow. Is this a good temporary option until I can save the money to put it right if so where would I cut and what angle on the raised part of the sill..?

Edited by amasterjedi, 18 November 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#85 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:39 PM

to be honest. I would not do anything. Why, you might make things worse.

The only thing I would do is a full remove and fix.

#86 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

After reading this topic my mini has oversills on. :( so what do I do..? Reading some posts people have talked about' slotting the sill allowing drainage/airflow. Is this a good temporary option until I can save the money to put it right if so where would I cut and what angle on the raised part of the sill..?

Depending on how long the oversills have been on there and what has been left beneath (i.e the original rotten outer sill) then it may be too late to vent them now, unless water is getting inside the cabin.

#87 amasterjedi

amasterjedi

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

Agree Nick but sills only been on a year with what looks to be a real tidy job by previous owner but as Ben says i have a water problem.! I know this from water in rear pockets..:( I just want to get it out until I can put right..

#88 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:43 AM

Ok then. I would just drill some holes in the lower closed end. Then have a prod about and hope you don't find any rusty sills that have been covered.

#89 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

If a car is only used in the dry weather, can a car with oversills last a little longer?

I'm not for a second saying oversills are ok! But I only use my Mini in the dry, and I'm hoping I can wait a while before having to get my oversills taken off.

#90 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

If a car is only used in the dry weather, can a car with oversills last a little longer?

I'm not for a second saying oversills are ok! But I only use my Mini in the dry, and I'm hoping I can wait a while before having to get my oversills taken off.

Fine if the car is stored in a dry place.  It seems to be the moisture that builds up, as it turns to water and runs everywhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users