50 replies to this topic

#1 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

I do not have short legs!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

So with my test in a few days I need to start looking at insurance options for if when I pass. 

I've tried all the usual online and comparison places, so far the cheapest I can get is £1500 which is shocking. 

I will phone Adrian Flux tomorrow and see what they come up with. Are there any other places people can recommend?

Thanks in advance.

#2 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm even starting to consider going down the black box route, which I'd rather not do, but it reduces the premium by £600.

#3 Chance

Chance

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:09 PM

1500 is a good price for a first time driver in my opinion

If its a mini...When I first passed 3years ago footman James insured me for 1200 quid

People said they don't do under 21 but I rang them and there was no problem

If its not a mini and its the cinquecento sporting then 1500 is a good price really...

#4 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

See if insuring your parents as named drivers helps.

I was doing this up until I was 30 with my dad on my policy

#5 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

Yeah I've added my parents, that has helped, also saying that it would be parked on the road rather than a secure driveway has also reduced it.

Saying that it is worth £700 rather than £400 (its actual value) has also reduced it by £40.

It is for the Cinquecento, Minis are even more to insure!

So a list of people to phone tomorrow..

Adrian Flux

Footman James

HIC?

#6 ShaunaFTW

ShaunaFTW

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts
  • Local Club: TurboMinis

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:25 PM

Yeah I've added my parents, that has helped, also saying that it would be parked on the road rather than a secure driveway has also reduced it.

Saying that it is worth £700 rather than £400 (its actual value) has also reduced it by £40.

It is for the Cinquecento, Minis are even more to insure!

So a list of people to phone tomorrow..

Adrian Flux

Footman James

HIC?

If your planning on switching the insurance to the mini in the near future avoid Adrian Flux, they charge an absolute fortune to make any change to your policy and if it's more than your currently paying they want the payment up front. Admiral/Diamond/Elephant are usually the cheapest on comparison websites. £1500 for a first year isn't bad at all. 

#7 Domneon

Domneon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

I'm with Aviva for both my Peugeot and the Mini and it's £1k each, I'm still in my first year of driving. The Peugeot is a 1.4 as well

#8 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Aviva were stupidly expensive when I got a quote a couple of days ago, around £2500 I think. Last year, when getting quotes for the Mini, they were by far the cheapest.

#9 Jase71

Jase71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:48 PM

£600 cheaper by having a Black box....no brianer, my son had a black box fitted to his Corsa, now got a years no claims and passed his Advanced Test, the quotes to put him on the Mini as a named driver are £500, fully comp. 12 months ago it was £1500.
There no embarrassment in a Black box. Personally I think every new driver should have a black box for at least 2 years as I've seen too many teenagers wrapped around tree's.

#10 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

£600 cheaper by having a Black box....no brianer, my son had a black box fitted to his Corsa, now got a years no claims and passed his Advanced Test, the quotes to put him on the Mini as a named driver are £500, fully comp. 12 months ago it was £1500.
There no embarrassment in a Black box. Personally I think every new driver should have a black box for at least 2 years as I've seen too many teenagers wrapped around tree's.

I am thinking about it. I guess the only thing I could get caught on is the acceleration and cornering. Where are the limits for 'safe driving'? I don't speed anyway, so that doesn't worry me.

#11 Domneon

Domneon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:55 PM

One of my mates had a black box in his arosa and he would get emails about his driving every week or so I think. Hard acceleration, hard braking and speed were points that would be raised

#12 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

I am thinking about it. I guess the only thing I could get caught on is the acceleration and cornering. Where are the limits for 'safe driving'? I don't speed anyway, so that doesn't worry me.

If you drive with that attitude straight after passing your test you'll be wrapped around a tree within a month.

Try not to hurt anyone else in your impending crash

#13 HarrysMini

HarrysMini

• Members
  • 3,352 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

If you drive with that attitude straight after passing your test you'll be wrapped around a tree within a month.

I'm not sure what you are referring to..?

#14 Carlos W

Carlos W

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

I'm not sure what you are referring to..?

If you're accelerating and cornering to the point that you're concerned about the black box straight after your test it's going to end in tears

#15 Jase71

Jase71

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 07:02 PM

They work on a points basis to a maximum of 100, the safer you drive the points you get which earns you a refund and discount upon re-newel. If you accelerate a bit harsh or like cornering quickly you get feedback telling you this, if you keep driving the same you could get your insurance revoked. Drive sensibly for 12 months or so, get a years no claims and you'll get the rewards longterm. It worked for my son and he really wasnt keen on a box but is now glad he got one. I do feel sorry for young drivers now, insurance companies just print their own money. My first car cost me £60 to insure Third party only, but then that was 26 years ago!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users