#16 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

You WILL need a 2 core radiator, a standard 3 core just isn't up to the job. As taffy1967 says an electric fan is also a great idea. Vehicle Wiring Products do various sized electric fans, I had one on my 1293 (which needed a 2 core rad and a fan to keep it under control!) and it was great, never went above 80 degrees even on the hottest days.

#17 deanymini

deanymini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:35 PM

ok. ive bitten the bullet and got myself a 2 core radiator that will be fitted at jonspeed tomorrow.

i tightened up the thermostat housing and no more water is coming out of there and the bottom hose seems to be ok. my dad said that if its not coming out of the thermostat any more then its got to come out somewhere else.

would you say that is a true statement? i hope he's wrong!

#18 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:42 PM

if it is still leaking then yes it will be coming from somewhere but if it isnt leaking then it should be fine

#19 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:03 PM

Get them to change the bottome hose at the same time. Also, inspect the bypass hose thoroughly, and replace it if in any doubt. For the sake of a few quid for some hoses, its worth it as your engine will not last very long.

If it's not damaged already that is...!!!

#20 deanymini

deanymini

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:20 PM

[quote][quote]If it's not damaged already that is...!!![/quot[/quote]

comments like that scare me!

#21 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:43 PM

Good luck and i'm sure that 2 core rad will see your Mini running very cool as well as looking cool too! :w00t:

But it was something you really should have fitted in the first place as you have a 1380cc engine, so you wouldn't rely on drums all round to stop you or poor quality cheap tyres to see you around bends at high speed, so you can't expect a bog standard radiator to cool an engine of that size either!

Oh well we learn from our mistakes I guess and I've been there myself! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users