#1 greenwheels

greenwheels

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Fixers

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

We had an interesting conversation at our club meeting last night.

One of our members has acquired a 1975 van with an estate rear floor -i.e. it has a wheel well. Were they ever built like this?

Also what were the van standard colours - it is painted orange all over as if it was painted at the factory. Is that a standard colour? Someone suggested it might have been part of a fleet order, if so who made the order for orange vans?

Interestingly there was an invitation to the 1978 Ideal home exhibition in the side pockets from a Polish company.

It's right hand drive with no indication of ever been converted from Left hand drive, and has outside hinges, so not a Clubman Estate conversion.

#2 Archived2

Archived2

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 03:15 PM

I heard some were made with the estate rear floor and in some cases rear seats to get around the commercial vehicle tax of the time.

#3 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 04:40 PM

someone near me has just got one (witney area - haven't seen it - maybe same person - rhd orange)

I believe some were exported to Sweden for utility company's - think orange was the colour

had to be able to ferry people as well as be a van

& I should imagine other country's had them as well as the AA?

did it have rear bin's ?

I serviced & did a clutch on an ex AA one in the 80's - that had seats in the back - think it had a spare wheel well as well

my dad had a converted van with seats in years ago - my mum insists it had a flap in the rear floor for the spare

i remember it had a little vent in the roof

edit - it's the same mini van

he has a habit of turning up interesting mini's

Edited by sledgehammer, 11 October 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#4 ibby4585

ibby4585

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

We had an interesting conversation at our club meeting last night.

One of our members has acquired a 1975 van with an estate rear floor -i.e. it has a wheel well. Were they ever built like this?

Also what were the van standard colours - it is painted orange all over as if it was painted at the factory. Is that a standard colour? Someone suggested it might have been part of a fleet order, if so who made the order for orange vans?

Interestingly there was an invitation to the 1978 Ideal home exhibition in the side pockets from a Polish company.

It's right hand drive with no indication of ever been converted from Left hand drive, and has outside hinges, so not a Clubman Estate conversion.

Hi.

This is really interesting. A few years ago late 90's early 2000's I owned a Mini Van with with the rear seat, mine also looked all factory fitted with the rear wheel well. and it was orange.!!

I sold it on eBay in 2003 I think. I would be really interested it was bought in Cornwall and the reg if you can get any info?

Kris

#5 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:10 PM

Mine is a 74 (registered) with an estate rear floor pan it was a (special order in 1973) commissioned build to order.
c3d6.jpg
a015.jpg

From some research I did the estate floor pan became a factory option in 1976

Edited by l_jonez, 12 October 2014 - 09:18 PM.

#6 ibby4585

ibby4585

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 09:21 PM

Yep that's exactly what mine was like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users