One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:14 PM

looking for some lower arms for me mini and want these dooberies -

http://www.minispeed...oduct&id=sp431a

anyone know where they are going cheaper? looked at mini sport and spares but neither of them do that type! they used to be on ebay for 65 but don't seem to be there now! anyone got some lying round?

#2 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:24 PM

These are the ones you want

http://www.minispare....aspx?pid=34604

Mini Speed have shoddy products and service in my experiance. those bottom arms they sell are really heavy and over engineered. the mini spares ones are well made and a much better design (and cheaper). I run the rose jointed ones on my hillclimber.

Wil

#3 steveobennet

steveobennet

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Local Club: stu's turbo club

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:34 PM

i know what you mean about the over engineered bit, but to me the minispeed ones look better than the minispares ones. probabily just me being blind! if they are good enough for the track they they are good enough for the road! and prices cheaper than that?

#4 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

Don't know about there being any cheaper, that seems a fair price for a bespoke part on a small production run.

#5 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 07:37 PM

I must admit that when I'm shopping for parts of my car that keep me alive, the cheapest is always the first thing I'm looking for too..... ;) ;) :) :w00t:

Buy the Mini Spares ones. They are far superior. As has been said, Mini Speed sell junk in general. When you are buying something like this you want it to be tough, those Mini Speed ones have many, many parts. More parts means more potential for failure. It's basically a barrel strainer with a couple of locknuts. Why would you want to add an extra thread into the thing? The Mini Spares one has just one adjustment thread with a locknut. And the Mini Spares is made from a custom forged part, it's to the required strength of OE equipment. Why do you think the Mini Speed ones are good enough for the track? They aren't described as a race part, they aren't homologated (which means they aren't permitted in many forms of racing) and crack testing isn't safety testing. Just 'because it isn't cracked now doesn't mean it can't crack really easily.

Seriously, the Mini Spares adjustable bottom arms are the best and strongest out there. They are the newest design.

Mini Speed are shoddy in general. In my experience they do poor work and supply poor quality parts. Work they have done has in the past endangered the lives of me and my friends. It angers me that they are still trading despite having gone bust at least once and that they seem to have become something to do with Jack Knight. Their body guy is good, but I wouldn't trust the rest of them.

Edited by Dan, 03 July 2006 - 07:38 PM.

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:43 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...DME:B:FSEL:UK:1

#7 TWICEmonkey

TWICEmonkey

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Local Club: A-Serious.com & TMF

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:53 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...DME:B:FSEL:UK:1

They cost more!!! MiniSpares (or get fixed negative camber arms, if you're adamant on saving money)

#8 taffy1967

taffy1967

Whovian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts
  • Local Club: South Wales Minis

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

Yes I got my fingers burnt by MiniSpeed too a few years back as I wanted a set of EBC discs to go with my EBC "Green Stuff" brake pads, oh and I already had EBC shoes on the rear also. Yes I went EBC mad! :w00t:

Well I purposely asked for the EBC discs as they were advertised in the Mini Magz too, well I got discs delivered alright, but they weren't EBC ones at all. Okay one box said EBC, but the cardboard packaging didn't look particularly new and the disc inside didn't have any EBC markings or anything on them. The other disc came in a different manufacturers box entirely and no that wasn't EBC either.

When I rang to complain, they just fobbed me off and tried to say I hadn't made myself clear when I did the order (which I flaming did) and they claimed they were out of EBC stuff anyway!

So I still have those discs if anyones interested as it would have cost too much to send them back and so I went to a local motor factor and bought the real McCoy from them and the discs also had EBC and a part number stamped on them too.

Their 8.4" discs as fitted to all Mini's from 1984 onwards (and 1275GT's from 1974 too), but I won't ever trust MiniSpeed again either! >;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users