Photo

Podifold - The Blow Through Supercharger Manifold.

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#166 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

Another one up and running:

#167 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

Well this thread jsut gets better and better!  Are there any cars out there with it fitted and working reliably?  Be good to hear what its like when cruising at motorway speeds.

#168 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 09 December 2015 - 07:11 PM

I'll soon be able to give a comparison between my old suck thru set and this. All I can say at the moment is that it picks up the revs alot quicker, but I don't know what it is like under load

#169 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:58 AM

That would be great.  I am looking to supercharge to get a torquey engine that can sit at 80mph quite happily without sounding like a bomb is going off under the bonnet constantly.  The Podifold is currently top of the list.

#170 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:19 PM

When I ran my initial set-up with nothing but a K&N filter covering the intake it was insanely loud.  The fuel injected version with the casting welded on the intake and the throttle body was a million times better. 90% of the time it was quiet, but as soon as you put your foot down you got that awesome supercharger whine coming through.

I'll be interested to hear how HUBBA.HUBBA's sounds with the long intake tract on it.

Something I'll be working on in the new year will be an additional casting for the carb versions to mount a suitable air filter to the intake and hopefully deaden some of the sound at idle like the fuel injected one does.

I've also nearly finished sorting a kit which overcomes the problem you have when trying to fit the Podifold to 998 engines.

#171 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

I'm selling off one of my early prototype manifolds: http://www.theminifo...arger-manifold/

#172 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 05:13 PM

So, a long time ago I said:

We'll have to wait and see with regard to carbs. I've spoken to HUBBA.HUBBA about this and he's going to carry on with his installation. He's in a good position to test it having converted from a running suck through set-up.

Well, he's finally got it sorted on a rolling road and here's what he had to say:

IT WORKS! On the rolling road at Aldon yesterday. Now runs really well. This wasn't a power run, as I'm running things in, but for anyone had doubts about Podifold and where throttles should be( blah, blah, blah )....don't. I works! My advance is set low at the moment whilst things are running in. As soon as things are bedded in I will crank things up, have a power up and post up the figures.
I do not, repeat do not have the lag and bogging down anymore which I had on my suck through set up. Not saying a suck through set up doesn't work, its just not for me with my hif44. As soon as I buy a gopro I'll get some footage up.
attachicon.gif20160113_105328.jpg

Such a positive response. I couldn't be happier!

#173 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:19 PM

Time for a bit of an update.

I finally have pretty much everything I need to start re-building my fuel injection Podifold engine. I've made a few subtle changes that should improve things and once I get my crankshaft back from being wedged and reground I'll be documenting the build in my Clubman thread.

I've been thinking about the carb version a lot lately too. One of the main issues is that it's based on the Metro turbo carb and plenum combination. Both of these work really well but having kept my eye on eBay for the last 12 months it would seem that they're getting harder to get hold of - something which is only going to get worse in the future. So, I've decided to tackle the problem myself in two ways.

Firstly it's well documented that a regular N/A HIF44 carb can be easily converted for turbo/supercharger use with the widely available turbo rebuild kit (click here). The only difference this doesn't resolve is that Turbo carbs are machined with a groove in the body where an o-ring is used to seal it against the dash pot. To sort this I've designed a simple gasket which can be used in place of the o-ring.

carb_gasket_01.jpg

carb_gasket_02.jpg

Next up is the plenum. It's purpose is to make sure the pressure in the float bowl is always slightly higher than the air in the throat of the carb and is essential to how the carb functions with forced induction. To tackle the shortage of Metro turbo plenums I plan on making my own version, similar in styling to the original but with some minor changes.

plenum_01.jpg

The aim here is that eventually I'll be able to offer a more complete Podifold package with less parts needing to be sourced separately. For those making the change from other systems I plan on selling all the components individually, including fully re-furbished and converted HIF44 carbs.

#174 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:45 AM

Just a quick one.

I've been asked a few times by people with suck through set-ups if they can use their existing bottom pulley with the Podifold as it was originally designed around the dimensions of the MED supercharger pulley.

Well, I managed to get hold of a Vmax pulley and can confirm that the belt position is identical and should work fine. The only difference is in the overall diameter. The Vmax one is slightly larger at 110mm than the MED one at 106mm which simply means the Vmax one will spin the supercharger a fraction faster.

pulley_comparison_01.jpg

pulley_comparison_02.jpg

pulley_comparison_03.jpg

pulley_comparison_04.jpg

pulley_comparison_05.jpg

#175 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

yep, mine's a vmax one and it's fine.

#176 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

Time for a bit of an update.

I finally have pretty much everything I need to start re-building my fuel injection Podifold engine. I've made a few subtle changes that should improve things and once I get my crankshaft back from being wedged and reground I'll be documenting the build in my Clubman thread.

I've been thinking about the carb version a lot lately too. One of the main issues is that it's based on the Metro turbo carb and plenum combination. Both of these work really well but having kept my eye on eBay for the last 12 months it would seem that they're getting harder to get hold of - something which is only going to get worse in the future. So, I've decided to tackle the problem myself in two ways.

Firstly it's well documented that a regular N/A HIF44 carb can be easily converted for turbo/supercharger use with the widely available turbo rebuild kit (click here). The only difference this doesn't resolve is that Turbo carbs are machined with a groove in the body where an o-ring is used to seal it against the dash pot. To sort this I've designed a simple gasket which can be used in place of the o-ring.

carb_gasket_01.jpg

carb_gasket_02.jpg

Next up is the plenum. It's purpose is to make sure the pressure in the float bowl is always slightly higher than the air in the throat of the carb and is essential to how the carb functions with forced induction. To tackle the shortage of Metro turbo plenums I plan on making my own version, similar in styling to the original but with some minor changes.

plenum_01.jpg

The aim here is that eventually I'll be able to offer a more complete Podifold package with less parts needing to be sourced separately. For those making the change from other systems I plan on selling all the components individually, including fully re-furbished and converted HIF44 carbs.

very arty pictures, by the way

#177 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 05:59 PM

very arty pictures, by the way

Thanks. Have another  ;D

podifold_mockup.jpg

#178 podifold

podifold

Suck through sucks

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

We've just got these stainless steel water pump blanking plates back from the laster cutters - another step towards being able to supply a more complete Podifold installation package  :D

They're 4mm thick and not only do they look great but they fit perfect too and come with 4 stainless low cap mounting bolts.

After some tweaking we've had a really good batch of castings back for the plenum too and should have a fully finished version available soon.

end_plate_1.jpg

end_plate_2.jpg

end_plate_3.jpg

#179 MiniCook

MiniCook

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:21 PM

Massively impressed with everything you've put together! Good job!

#180 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:48 PM

Love this thread..............

Question - this kit your going do, is there a kit version going to be available for people like me who know nothing about supercharging.??like bolt n play....

Question - what prep needs to be done engine/box car wise..??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users