Hi Tompat, any progress on the built ?

#17 Tompat3463

Tompat3463

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

thanks for the comments guys. Ive been working on finishing the mini lately but things are taking longer than expected. I ve since painted the roof, busy fitting GAZ shockes all round, have started weork on painting the doors, looking like early new year for an MOT,

out of interest, how much do you thuing it will be worth whe nits finished ? I was thinking maybe £7000 do you guys thinks thats reasonable ?

still havent managed to get picture of my engine mounts, Will do thant when  I get a chance and upload them as soon as possible

#18 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:22 PM

Hi mate, i'm interested in buying a mini and putting a motorbike engine in the front. do you know what the approximate cost would be? and which engine is the easiest to do the conversion?

Many thanks

Sam

#19 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 11:18 AM

Hi mate, i'm interested in buying a mini and putting a motorbike engine in the front. do you know what the approximate cost would be? and which engine is the easiest to do the conversion?

Many thanks

Sam

Hi sam,

easiest is the Yamaha R1 5pw as several kits exist and engine is bed proven, powerful, reliable and cheap.

Count with 5000 till 6000 (deepening on engine price) all in as brakes, suspension, fuel system, cooling, LSD adds up.

#20 SamFoster

SamFoster

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 12:18 PM

Many thanks

Sam

Hi sam,

easiest is the Yamaha R1 5pw as several kits exist and engine is bed proven, powerful, reliable and cheap.

Count with 5000 till 6000 (deepening on engine price) all in as brakes, suspension, fuel system, cooling, LSD adds up.

thanks for the reply Helldriver. Wow it certainly isn't cheap, is that guide price if I was to just buy all the parts and do the work myself? Would the Honda B16 conversion be a cheaper alternative to an R1 engine?

Thanks

Sam

#21 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

Many thanks

Sam

Hi sam,

thanks for the reply Helldriver. Wow it certainly isn't cheap, is that guide price if I was to just buy all the parts and do the work myself? Would the Honda B16 conversion be a cheaper alternative to an R1 engine?

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam,

yes quoted total costs is DIY. The kit price is around 3500 but then you need the barnett clutch, LSD, etc. 

Lnyx is the only one who sells there kit in pieces, so here you could save around 1000 by making header, ducting of the radiator and the whole gear changing mechanism yourself.

It depends what you are gonna use it for. If it is a racer like mine, yes the 5000 is not cheap but reasonable what you get=> a pocket rocket :-) huge advantage is the lost of around 80kg upfront and overall weight to 500kg (huge advantage), an engine together with sequentiell gearbox with around 10-15 tkm costs you 500 till 800 bucks, have 3 lying around and if one blows up I don't care and its 3 hours to replace it. I don't even open it up as costs to fix it is higher then a new one...so follow up costs are cheap.

A good modified a-series costs you the same till 10000 but if this blows your are broke or you constantly fixing something as all is in the limits...and have less performance as lynx proved it with there R1 Miglia.

no experience with honda conversion myself but one thing I know, it adds up weight upfront which is what you defenitly don't want on a mini. for a daily driver for sure better useable power band and less noisy. I don't expect the honda conversion is cheaper at the end.

Chris

Edited by Helldriver, 06 July 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#22 steveg2015

steveg2015

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Hi Tom.

I have a mini which I am currently rebuilding and have just bought a Honda Fireblade to use for the engine conversion. I am currently trying to find a chain driven diff set up but I'm having issues getting one for the mini shafts ..... Can you please tell me which set up you used. 

Have you managed to get the car finished yet or are there still a few jobs to complete ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. 

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users