17 replies to this topic

#1 clarks.2006

clarks.2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:09 AM

Anyone got any nice pics of a mini with a lot of carbon fibre on such as bonnet, boot and roof or something even with a little on just want to see how it looks and if its worth doing it with mine thanks clarks.2006 :proud:

#2 smudger

smudger

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • Local Club: Lots

Posted 10 July 2006 - 07:58 AM

:proud:

to be honest, unless your willing to spend SERIOUS cash, dont follow this route, as due to shortage the cost has gone up,

Smudger
(the sun has got his hat on and he is coming out to play)

#3 clarks.2006

clarks.2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 10:20 PM

Nah its not that bad sureley??? Curley are still making them fairly cheap!

#4 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:44 AM

LOL if you think Curley is cheap, your my type of customer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(i use a higher grade of CF cloth than curley, at moment he is using plain, i am still using 200gram 2x2 twill)

#5 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:01 AM

Smudger, how do you keep parts cheaper when you use higher quality cloth?

I was going go to Curleys for my CF roof skin and bumpers, if your products are perfect (I've seen too much :- carbon fibre) then i'll order from you. How much do you want for a CF roof skin (showing weave) and a pair of bumpers (showing weave)?

The bumpers do bolt on as standard dont they? Curleys told me theres do...

I would also like some pics of the above please.

Cheers,
Josh

Edited by Jobu, 12 July 2006 - 08:38 AM.

#6 clarks.2006

clarks.2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

Yea how much are your bonnet and boot also? Do they fit on as normal with no drilling etc or....? Thanks clarks.2006

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

Smudger's site

prices are on there.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

(i use a higher grade of CF cloth than curley, at moment he is using plain, i am still using 200gram 2x2 twill)

Curley has the same cloth among others.

#9 jamieoliver

jamieoliver

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

Sorry to Hijack. I have some curley miglia arches exposed weave for sale. Anyone interested?

#10 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:18 PM

He has higher overheads, simple as that.

You employ over 30 people and you have to find wages.

When last talked, he was using plain weave for everything, leaveing the twill for seats.

Whilst my cloth costs more than normal (i have to buy in the amount for what you order) i am buying it from a very very good source. He just charges me loads.

The curley roof is made up (from the last 3 i have seen) using 3 different sizes, i am buying a VERY large width of carbon so no lines or stripes (fingers crossed) once a new mould is sorted. However, its not worth me sorting out new mould for roof unless i get serious orders.

The curley bumpers dont fit on standard holes as they dont supply hinges (last heard anyway), so best way of doing it is to bond some right angle brackets (B&Q) onto bumper that lines up to front valance.

Have some customer orders going out in next few days, will take pics so you can have a look.

(Lexus starter motors are dinky for size of engine)

#11 Jobu

Jobu

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Local Club: 16vminiclub

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

I am serious about ordering, it'll be before the end of the year (Which is still 5 month but i am serious!) Im was going to order from Curleys but it depends what you can offer, when you can have a new mould sorted etc.

The car goes away to be sprayed the beginning of october, which is the earliest the sprayer can take my car in. So if you can have a mould ready by that time i'll have one as soon as it goes away so i can store it in the garage as the car wont be in there.

If its worth while you doing a new mould, you have your first customer.

The car will have a CF roof, weather its from you or Curleys, but i must admit getting it from you sounds more appealing.

Also about the bumpers, do you do them? Curleys sound they have a lip and bolt on, i'll have to ring them i suppose. But if not bonding some brackets on isnt a problem.

Josh

#12 smudger

smudger

• Members
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:30 PM

For a roof you MUST HAVE A 6 POINT CAGE, I REFUSE TO SELL ROOF TO PEOPLE WITHOUT CAGE!

Now you need to work out why a carbon roof, do you want it showing weave? most do to be honest.

I do my bits a bit different, this makes em stronger, but for roofs i would prefer stronger and more expensive than cheap and weak!

If i can get decent orders for roof skins, then will take mould from Mini (who normally gets decent paint job at same time) and start doing them.

They will be "oversize" and need trimming down to make proper fit.

Dont forget to leave about 1inch metal rim around roof to bond/rivet onto.

Some just bond, but trust me, you dont want to do that.

As for bumpers, have had a few PMs and emails about these, so will order bumpers (stainless steel) from MiniSpares and start on them.

I still think its better if you have brackets and bond them on yourself, that way they will line up perfect rather than just ok.

Feel free to ask me anything you want on msn: [email protected]

Ta

#13 marsden

marsden

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Local Club: www.sheffcruise.co.uk

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

pretty soon im going to be wanting a carbon flip front with bonnet showing weave, would prefer 1 peice of u do them ?????? how much would this cost roughly

#14 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:46 AM

He has higher overheads, simple as that.

You employ over 30 people and you have to find wages.

When last talked, he was using plain weave for everything, leaveing the twill for seats.

Whilst my cloth costs more than normal (i have to buy in the amount for what you order) i am buying it from a very very good source. He just charges me loads.

But then he has contracts whilst mostly pay for those overheads and due to the high turnover of products he has more buying power to lower the cost of the cloth he gets.

#15 azzgranty

azzgranty

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

Mine has just a little carbon fibre...
clickie here: little black beast...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users