Gr4h4m

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts
  • Local Club: Club less.....

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

Hi to answer the questions,

It's a retro sport alloy filter head kit so came with the block to filter head pipe

The hoses are push fit Mocal ones with the special push fit pipes, they are very hard to push together. I just used the correct fittings for stat and oil cooler

The cooler is the smallest Mocal one that they do

The block spacer used to be off the shelf for somerford I believe it was sold as a kit to use as an oil temp Gauge take off point which I use it for. You could buy a block of alloy and drill the three holes in it to space off the filter head.
This might mean that you need a short oil filter to clear the subframe as when you add the stat it drops the oil filter lower, or file a very small notch so it clears whilst you screw it on. I found a smaller filer at bingley last year that had the correct thread, in fact I think minisport has ordered the wrong ones.

Like all these mods they are never as simple as you first think.

#17 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:33 PM

$(KGrHqZHJFYE88fNNwgHBPZK)Qcccg~~60_35.J

Thanks again for the info. Despite the age of the A Series engine after market Mods are never straight forward.

If the filter head needs to spacered from the block to give clearance for the Mocal stat then surely this needs to be a machined spacer item with the same profile as above and then two gaskets used?

I got a dimensioned drawing from Mocal and I'll need to take some measurements. This is a much neater solution and I thought it would have been commonly used in the competition side of Minis. It's a bit of pain if a shorter oil filter is also needed. It's a 3/4 UNF thread I think.

#18 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 08:39 PM

OSA001.jpg

I've found the photo of the Somerford item. Need to see if this is still available.

#19 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

thats the bad boy, yep you need two gaskets

#20 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:27 PM

Somerford still advertising this at £22.80 which includes the 2 mounting studs and oil temp sender. Very reasonable.

Minispares also sell smaller oil filters - GFE210 which should do the job nicely.

I think this is the perfect set up for an oil cooler thermostat. I'm going to fit a 10 row cooler.

#21 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:13 PM

I thought is was the neatest solution, when I installed in last year.

#22 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

Love your supercharged Mini by the way, can post some full photos of the interior and exterior?

#23 Gr4h4m

Gr4h4m

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

Thanks, for the kind words. I don't have any up to date ones, and the cars in a few bits at the mo :) as I refresh everything for this year

#24 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: Waikato Mini Club

Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

Sorry to dig up an old thread. I can’t really see which way the lines are going. So 2 oil cooler hoses go directly to the sandwich plate and you still run a hose from the filter head to the block?

#25 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

Only extra hoses are for the cooler everything else is laced out as standard. But standard does not fit.

#26 joyce1bro

joyce1bro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Local Club: Waikato Mini Club

Posted 01 May 2020 - 06:31 PM

Only extra hoses are for the cooler everything else is laced out as standard. But standard does not fit.

Because A) you need a spacer between the block and housing and B) you have to change your filter size to something smaller?

Edited by joyce1bro, 01 May 2020 - 06:32 PM.

#27 Kaj

Kaj

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:07 AM

As an update to this, I have fitted the Mocal thermostat by pointing the ports toward the radiator side of the engine. I then used 90 degree pipe connections and fitted metal braided oil pipe hoses. These loop round and up to where I had to mount the cooler on the offside inner wing. The hoses are protected behind the sump guard.
Works fine and no block spacer required. Standard oil filter fits

Edited by Kaj, 30 May 2020 - 09:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users