#1 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Local Club: unkown

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi my friend has a 2008 mini 1.6 petrol I serviced the car 2000 mile ago and just topped up the oil again that's the third time its had 2 and a half liters since the service is this normal no obvious oil leak or marks on ground I know cars now use oil but that seems a bit much to me

#2 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

Sounds like its burning oil. And no its not normal...

#3 (philip)

(philip)

previously know as pw-london

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet..

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:37 PM

to set fire to it? Petrol would work better. 

#4 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:51 PM

Ano my van would use between a liter or 2 liters between services but that's 12 thousand miles the car drives fine for what it is and theirs no smoke

#5 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

2008 I presume is an R56 shape, the PSA engines in these are well known for high oil consumption. 1L every 1000 miles isn't uncommon or anything too be of particular concern. Just a trait of the engine.

#6 mini stephen

mini stephen

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

Thanks for response can't believe the wealth of knowledge on here cheers

2008 I presume is an R56 shape, the PSA engines in these are well known for high oil consumption. 1L every 1000 miles isn't uncommon or anything too be of particular concern. Just a trait of the engine.

#7 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

Half pint guy in a half pint car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

My r56 Cooper s is a heavy drinker buts its definately not burning oil. Its crap because the oil isn't cheap but as said above its normal

#8 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for response can't believe the wealth of knowledge on here cheers

No worries bud!

#9 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:01 PM

That is not normal and if it is, that is terrible. I'd have a for sale sign in it ASAP if that were the case (I would have done long ago as its a BMW MINI but that's another argument altogether).

My Mk3 mondeo started burning a litre of oil every 500 miles. I ended up scrapping the car it was that bad. The carbon build up inside the engine was awful when I stripped it apart (about 1/4" thick layer around the EGR valve port and the exhaust ports weren't much better).

ministephen. If your friends mini has had 7.5 litres of oil in it in 2000 miles I would suspect that it has some serious problems. I'd expect the engine to have scored cylinder walls, worn out piston rings, leaks and/or worn valve guides. Scored cylinder walls, worn piston rings and worn valve guides are all issues the Mondeo Duratec HE engines suffer from that causes high oil consumption.

#10 jamesmpi

jamesmpi

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Have a seach on Mini2.com I'm sure there will be so more info on there...

My mum has the R56 petrol and yes it is common for them to use oil, but excessively like the OP is stating. I would have it looked at ASAP.

#11 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

Have it looked at by BMW/MINI by all means, they will just tell you its normal. 1l every 1000 miles is too there 'spec' and within tolerance. Yup, i know its pants and its ridiculous that they use that much oil, (mine used more than an RX-7 i had at the time) but thats the way it is. It's well documented that these engines have coking issues, so much so that MINI garages have even started to offer walnut blasting for the valves as it was causing so many problems. More so if it's an 'S'. Fitting twin oil catch cans help, but is more of a prevention rather than cure.

Unfortunately it's just something you've gotta live with, spend a lot of money stripping down and rebuilding to fix, or sell the car on.

#12 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

Have it looked at by BMW/MINI by all means, they will just tell you its normal. 1l every 1000 miles is too there 'spec' and within tolerance.

Holy C***! My leaky 998 City E with its £20 ebay engine didn't even use that.

#13 HARBER07

HARBER07

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,498 posts
  • Local Club: Naaa......

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

BMW's use oil. It's just how they are. Nothing to really swear about.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users