196 replies to this topic

#76 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:45 AM

That is the same gearing I have just upped my pro-motive kit too. It was too short before and revved way past peak bhp in 6th.

Now I too should have 70mph @ 6500rpm - 123mph equates to 11400rpm I have calculated. Heading to Mallory Park on thursday so will verify with some GPS data.

#77 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

That is the same gearing I have just upped my pro-motive kit too. It was too short before and revved way past peak bhp in 6th.

Now I too should have 70mph @ 6500rpm - 123mph equates to 11400rpm I have calculated. Heading to Mallory Park on thursday so will verify with some GPS data.

Will be interested to find out how you get on. I've never been in an R1 mini so have no idea what I'm letting myself into. I've had sports bikes so I know what the high revving bike engine is like just not in a car.

Mallory is brilliant circuit imo. I used to race push bikes there when I grew up in Leicester.

Luke. 

#78 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:46 AM

I'm not sure what to expect from Mallory, it is quite small so it's encouraging to hear that you like the circuit. I booked it as it was local & cheap as this is only the second time I have had mine on track. The first time was lat year at Castle Combe ( ) I had a few issues with various things which I have (hopefully) improved over the winter! The vid will give you an idea of what R1 + mini =

#79 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:12 AM

That sound  :wub:

I bet your ears were ringing for ages after!

#80 Helldriver

Helldriver

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:14 AM

=orgasm :-) that rocks
Duds good reactions
What did you improve on the pro motive for track use?

#81 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

I've watched your video a few times before but didn't realise it was yours. Love the way it sounds and the way it eats up the track - wow

Mallory has a really good variation in height with a fairly long straight and huge sweeping bend to carry speed. the hairpin is epic. Very tight and more like a carousel.

I can't wait to get mine on the road. I'm thinking I'll be at least another year though.

Edited by LukeH, 16 May 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#82 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 11:00 PM

Awesome Luke, i'm loving the sound of Mallory now! Good luck with your build 👍

#83 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have confirmation that my differential kit is under construction this week so I am giving some serious thought to how I am going to mount it on the cradle and more importantly how I am going to tension the chain.

My current thinking is some sort of swing arm mount like a motorbike rear wheel swing arm with an adjustable rose jointed tensioner. I'm wondering whether I could use a front upper suspension arm bearing/axle as the main mount or whether I should just use rose joints throughout. 

This is going to be a tricky thing to get right and I feel a few prototypes on the way.....

#84 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:25 AM

Some ideas;

DSC00149.jpg

CIMG1055.jpg

#85 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

I received an email from Douglas at Westgarage today letting me know that the diff kit is almost complete and should be with me very soon.

I haven't done much on the project since the last update due to spending time, and money preparing my XC race bike for a mountain bike race in a couple of weeks. I managed to stuff the rear shock during a training ride which has lightened my wallet considerably to replace it. It's tricky balancing cycling with restoring a car at times.  

#86 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:04 PM

Looking forward to seeing what the diff kit looks like - hopefully it holds oil better than mine does! Mallory was really fun by the way - you were right!

#87 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

Looking forward to seeing what the diff kit looks like - hopefully it holds oil better than mine does! Mallory was really fun by the way - you were right!

Glad you enjoyed it. Did you capture any video footage?

#88 duds100

duds100

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

Yeah there is a vid on my youtube channel 👍www.youtube.com/miniduds

Edited by duds100, 27 May 2015 - 02:28 PM.

#89 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

Not much to report on the build except that the diff assembly kit arrived yesterday. It looks a quality piece and good value.

20150602_221502.jpg

20150602_221506.jpg

20150602_221517.jpg

I will need to build it up once I have purchased a differential, output shafts and other misc gaskets and washers.

This particular kit uses standard mini output shaft covers and gaskets so servicing should be straightforward.

#90 LukeH

LukeH

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

I can't believe I haven't posted on here since June but that's because I guess I haven't touched the project since then. I've really got back into bike racing spending most of the summer training for the Isle of Man end2end mountain bike challenge. Well that came and went a couple of weeks ago and apart from cyclocross racing every couple of weeks I have the time to start the project again.

No pictures but I made a few changes to the craddle a couple of nights ago and I've ordered some more steel to collect this Friday.

I was thinking for a little while to scrap my homebuild and buy a promotive kit but then I discovered they aren't making them anymore.

Anyway, I willl start posting pics of progress again for those of you who care to see them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users