MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:11 PM

Well first serious road test today, my daily 100 mile round trip into Leeds along the A64 and M1, I can't say it was the most enjoyable experience, I'm not sure what was the worst thing. 

The engine drone above 60 was enough to send you to sleep if the interior hadn't already done the job for you, the wallowing into every corner, the lack of any obvious braking power when stopping the car or the back ache from the incredibly uncomfortable seats.

But....what is amazing about this car and I know its a cliche about VW reliability,  this car has no concept that it is 15 years old and nearly 120K on the clock, everything works they way it was designed when it left the factory (both good and bad). Every button does what its supposed to, engine just keeps going (droning), all of the trim is where it should be, there are no annoying broken bits / switch / clips, it just works, for better or worse.

Now that's all incredibly boring, but my none boring Clio would randomly decide what was going to work, any clip I had touched had broken, don't ask about the electrics and it had 5 non boring road side recoveries in the last twelve months in some parts of Leeds you really don't want to break down in.

The frustrating thing about this car is that it could actually be  car great, its well made, its a nice size, it runs well, but its let down by a drab sensible interior and an complete and utter lack of handling. Although to be fair, once you get used to the wallowing, it doesn't actually understeer, you might slide off your seat sideways or bang your head on the side window but it does actually hold the road.

So, the drab interior I can cope with, but maybe with a decent set of wheels and some Bilstein B4's (no I'm not lowering it), I might actually start to enjoy this car.

#17 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Local Club: Geeks N Freaks

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

You need to do the 'polo death grip' on the steering wheel to keep yourself in your seat. Did the previous owner not mention it? Great upper arm workout without the cost of a gym subscription!

#18 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:18 PM

You need to do the 'polo death grip' on the steering wheel to keep yourself in your seat. Did the previous owner not mention it? Great upper arm workout without the cost of a gym subscription!

previous owner was the Vicars wife, I'm guessing she slowed down for corners, maybe 5 point harness is the way to go.

#19 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:11 PM

Maybe I am boring but I like late 90s vw interiors. They have a simple quality that many others should have copied. Where most french cars seems to have been made of leftover biscuit box liner plastic and designs from a nursery school competition, vw just made them last forever. The only bits that tend to show wear are the rubbery inserts on the interior door handles.

#20 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

I fully expect you to move to my town of Abingdon to join the fellow polo drivers [ all 200 ] . And yes , chop 3 coils from your spring so your car bounces up the road , kick every panel in , and cover it with stickers  and rust . Then do burnouts in Mcdonalds park with lots of those chavvy new corsa's as company .

Only joking , that looks a good little car for the money , about the best you could expect to get for so little .

And i like vw interiors . I use to love my mk2 gti's . Unique smell and a really solid feel - i must stop im getting misty eyed and hearing the whirrr-click of the fuel pump firing up [ anyone who had one will know that noise !]

#21 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:09 PM

the whirrr-click of the fuel pump firing up [ anyone who had one will know that noise !]

Them were the days......

What about the incessant hunting for idle? Or was that just mine? Both of them!

#22 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

I must admit, that was the best bit about my old mk3 golf. The interior seemed much newer than 1995!

#23 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

the whirrr-click of the fuel pump firing up [ anyone who had one will know that noise !]

Them were the days......

Mine were not too bad , i had three digifant models . I still miss driving a car with instant torque .

Edited by Bubblebobble, 23 December 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#24 jime17

jime17

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

Fabulous machines.

#25 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:03 PM

Them were the days......

I thought it was just at speed initially, but actually it does it at idle as well, it like the  car acts as some kind of natural amplification for the engine noise.

#26 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:04 PM

Them were the days......

I thought it was just at speed initially, but actually it does it at idle as well, it like the engine car acts as some kind of natural amplification for the engine noise.

Just turn the radio up

#27 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

Maybe I am boring but I like late 90s vw interiors. They have a simple quality that many others should have copied. Where most french cars seems to have been made of leftover biscuit box liner plastic and designs from a nursery school competition, vw just made them last forever. The only bits that tend to show wear are the rubbery inserts on the interior door handles.

I'm still getting used to the fact that you push a button and it actually does what its supposed to.

#28 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

Them were the days......

I thought it was just at speed initially, but actually it does it at idle as well, it like the engine car acts as some kind of natural amplification for the engine noise.

Just turn the radio up

typically that's the only thing that doesn't work properly and is the only thing not actually original to the car.

#29 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

What PCD is it

I have these Wolfrace multistud 4 bolt.

These were on  mk4 Fiesta -

Tyres are pretty decent - half worn

Centres are also included but not fitted in photos

£150

Attached File  IMG_0015bb.pdf   746.24K   16 downloads

#30 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

I think you have got a really result with that . You have to look at the point of view that you have a a super cheap , frugal reliable car , not from the point of view of it being unexciting etc  .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users