Photo

Bonnet Lip Removal

Best Answer Ben_O , 23 December 2014 - 11:36 AM

You would need to drill from the outside edge of the bonnet. Clean the paint/rust back from the edge to identify where the spot welds are and then VERY carefully, drill the spot welds with a proper spot weld drill bit making sure you only drill as deep as the thickness of the lip to avoid damaging the edge of the bonnet.

A better way might be to use a thin grinding stone to grind back the spot welds. You just carefully grind over the spot weld dimple until the metal starts to turn blue indicating it is thinned right down, then simply gently wiggle the lip off.

If you need anything else, Holler!

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

Hi all was planning on converting my bonnet to mk1 but having problems on how to get the lip off the front I've read some other posts and they say to drill out the spot welds would this mean drilling from the front of the bonnet or from the inside? 

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:36 AM   Best Answer

You would need to drill from the outside edge of the bonnet. Clean the paint/rust back from the edge to identify where the spot welds are and then VERY carefully, drill the spot welds with a proper spot weld drill bit making sure you only drill as deep as the thickness of the lip to avoid damaging the edge of the bonnet.

A better way might be to use a thin grinding stone to grind back the spot welds. You just carefully grind over the spot weld dimple until the metal starts to turn blue indicating it is thinned right down, then simply gently wiggle the lip off.

If you need anything else, Holler!

#3 tomBERTfrancis

tomBERTfrancis

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:51 AM

thanks for the reply I will attempt it this afternoon.

#4 igander

igander

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi there,

I did this recently and agree with the comments above - clean the paint off so you can identify the welds and use a 'proper' spot weld drill

Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users