#1 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts
  • Local Club: Abingdon Mini Owners Club

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

If you are into your Longbridge history, then this is the rally for you  :-)  This year is especially poignant as marks 10 years since the collapse of MG Rover.  It also celebrates 110 years of motor manufacture at Longbridge. 

The Pride of Longbridge is held on the nearest Saturday in April to the mass redundancies caused by the collapse of MG Rover in April 2005.  This year's rally is on Saturday 18th April and is organised by the Pride of Longbridge Heritage and Community Group.  The event has a dual purpose of both remembering the collapse and those affected by it and also celebrating Longbridge's fantastic vehicle making history.  The event now attracts well over 1500 vehicles, and if it has a connection to Longbridge you will find it there.  The variety is quite amazing.   Many former employees and members of the local community come along too.  It is free of charge for both vehicles and the public, however, as you can imagine it is not free to host, so if you feel inclined to make a donation towards the event, it would be very gratefully received.  Gemma Cartwright from the Pride of Longbridge Heritage and Community Group is currently looking into a Just Giving page.  

In previous years, the Austin and Longbridge Federation (ALF) have been involved in organising PoL.  I got to know John Baker, the chairman of the ALF in 2009 at the IMM held at Longbridge  I found him quite inspiring, and when I saw his website, I was blown away - http://www.austinmemories.com/.  I'm pleased to say that this website is now backed up regularly by the British Library.  John and I became friends and at the 2010 PoL he said that I should think about bringing a convoy of Longbridge connected vehicles from Cowley (so that includes all production at Cowley from 1952 to 2000 when the Plants were linked) to PoL, and so the Cowley Convoy was born  :-)

In 2011 we took 14 vehicles, 2012 was 45, 2013 was 95 and last year over 100.  This year we would again like to try and break the 100 vehicle mark.

If you happen to either live in the Oxfordshire area or would travel through Oxfordshire to get to the PoL or just want to join us (we do have people who come from Birmingham just to come on the convoy!), we'd love to have you.  In the spirit of PoL, the Cowley Convoy is free of charge.  We do have flags and run plaques which are entirely optional and sold at cost price.  However, please do bring your own flags etc, if you have other flags.  

We've had some great cars on previous convoy including a replica of Mr Bean's Mini, with Mr Bean on top, and the Met Police have very kindly brought their operational Rover SD1 and Rover 827, and as they are operational vehicles, they come complete with Police Officers.  

We aim to leave MINI Plant Oxford at about 8.30am, and those on the convoy can arrive at Cowley from 7.30am, although we ask everyone to be with us by 8.15am if possible.  The Plant will have their Centenary Exhibition open again and if we get organised, we'll have teas and coffees.  

You can sign up for the Cowley Convoy here - http://cowleyconvoy....nvoy/4564571391.  The Cowley Convoy also has a Facebook page - https://www.facebook...28401660618757/ as does PoL - https://www.facebook...rner36/?fref=ts

Personally, if I could only make one show a year, this would be this one as for me.  Cars are about people too, and meeting those who built your model of car and those would have lived with the Plant for years is a real privilege.  

surfblue63 made a great film in 2013

and here's our amateur Facebook short film also from 2013.  Hopefully you'll get the idea - the Cowley Convoy is a lot of fun  :D    

https://www.facebook...&type=2

Edited by Tanya, 04 February 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#2 ibby4585

ibby4585

Speeding Along Now

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Looks great so signed up.

Looking forward to it.

#3 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

Looks great so signed up.

Looking forward to it.

Excellent! Both the Cowley Convoy and the Pride of Longbridge are great :-)

We usually get a good turn out of local Minis, and if a club comes, we try and send them off together on the convoy, and park them up together at Longbridge together.  

#4 Steely

Steely

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:16 PM

I'll be there, mini or no mini!

#5 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

I'll be there, mini or no mini!

No excuse for you!  You can walk there if needs be!   :lol:

#6 A-Cell

A-Cell

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

"Minis coming home" ;-)

#7 A-Cell

A-Cell

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:13 PM

Report of last year's event, along with some 60 pics
http://www.aronline....ongbridge-2014/

#8 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

Report of last year's event, along with some 60 pics
http://www.aronline....ongbridge-2014/

It's lovely to see that again; it brings back so many good memories.  

#9 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

Ill be going! And would love to be in the Cowley Convoy!

#10 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

Ill be going! And would love to be in the Cowley Convoy!

Come and join us then :-)  

#11 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:02 PM

A number of us are staying down on the Saturday night after the Pride of Longbridge in the Premier Inn that's built on part of the old Longbridge site. Rooms are currently £35, but I guess they won't remain at that price for long, so be quick if you want a cheap room - http://www.premierin...gbridge-station

#12 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:06 AM

I'll sign up to the Cowley Convoy! I've got a mate with an MG ZR, is he allowed to join the convoy too? It was built at Longbridge!

#13 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:40 AM

I'll sign up to the Cowley Convoy! I've got a mate with an MG ZR, is he allowed to join the convoy too? It was built at Longbridge!

Fantastic! We'd love you have your mate and his MG ZR along too :-). Any car that's eligible for PoL is welcome on the Cowley Convoy :-)

#14 AlexMozza

AlexMozza

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts
  • Local Club: Not Yet

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:36 AM

Signed up!

#15 Tanya

Tanya

Snuggle-Buddy

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Signed up!

Excellent!  Welcome along and I look forward to meeting you on the day :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users