#1 thetrev.com

thetrev.com

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

trying to decide which way to go on brakes, I want to run the car on 10's for looks and day to day use, but looking on here 12" are better for rallying due to tyre choice for road rally's  

anyone run 7.5" callipers on 12's for rallying? 

And finally any experience on minisport callipers not the alloy ones the normal AP copies 

Thanks

Trev

#2 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:34 PM

Eh up Trev

I run the setup you are talking about - 7.5's with 12" wheels and all is very goooood in the brake department. 

Mintex M1144 pads, Castrol React Performance Dot 4 fluid, and braided lines. Standard solid discs (I run in historic rallies too so no vented or 4 pots allowed) and never had any fade what so ever.

Brilliant brake setup and stops on a dime.

My car came on 10's and still use them day to day, by 12" does offer better tyre choice (just!) and also a little more ground clearance when comparing 12" maxsport RB1's with my Falken 10" rubber.

#3 thetrev.com

thetrev.com

Stage One Kit Fitted

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:57 PM

Cheers, I see you also run a servo, have you ran without one as not sure on fitting one or not, I will be doing historic road rallies as well.

I have been following your build thread, and borrowing some ideas, the Rollcage plate feet dimensions made it easy to order some laser cut plates ready to bend (will be fitting next week)

Thanks

Trev 

#4 rally1380

rally1380

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:10 PM

Not ran this car without the servo, but my old mini was servo less.....brakes weren't as good though (but that was because i was a student and skint!)

To be honest, try without and see how you get on, you could always fit one at a later date simple and cheap enough. They come out real easy - or maybe thats just because i've done it a few times so threads are all nice and greased.

I would like to remove mine to make engine In and Outs easier....but reluctant to alter the brake setup just yet (saving that for the full rebuild)

As for the steel plates....I just went down my local metal dealers and got a load of 3mm offcuts thay had lying around. Got a load for not alot of cash (I always put on the skint student routine even though i'm in my 30's!!!) and they cut real easy with a grinder and thin cutting discs - easier getting them laser cut to size mind you!!!!!

#5 keefr22

keefr22

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:37 PM

We don't have a servo & I hate the brake set up without it, there's zero feel & the brake pedal feels like a lump of wood. It really doesn't encourage late braking...!!

Having said that, we don't really know what pads/linings are fitted as there hasn't been chance to look with all the other work needing doing, so given some of the things the bodger we bought it off had done there could be some horrific Chinese counterfeit rubbishin the calipers! Brake overhaul & set up is next on the list, and I would like to fit a servo at the same time.

Keith

#6 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

I ran my Clubby on 7.5's and 12" Revos. I never had a servo and never had a problem It had a 1380 with an SW5 and it wasn't babied although it wasn't used in competition. I was running Ferodo pads.

As an aside on Ferodo pads I would recommend them all day long over any of the other super-duper-fancy-colour pads. I've seen an Astra come in from a plot & bash rally with the front discs glowing and the "normal" Ferodo pads were just doing the job (of course when he parked up the fluid boiled.......). I've tried other stuff on various cars and in various types of use and managed to glaze them or had "moments" with ones that don't work until there's some heat in them but bog-standard Ferodo road stuff just seems to do the job every time without fuss or silliness no matter how much you abuse them.

Iain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users