Attached Files

#363 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

The shell looks in superb condition! Where are you based in Cape Town? Would be great to come and visit. Also, if you need any parts, there are a lot of folks who can assist from our local club. https://www.facebook...ps/cptminiclub/

#364 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

So, another day without a running Mini :( But, still some progress was made. Got all the bits to my friend's workshop, got the driveshafts cleaned and assembled. 

TTTaCeD.jpg

Unfortunately, the brake line on the nearside front refused to come loose from the subframe and we ran out of daylight and time. Hopefully, tomorrow we can get it fitted and torqued up, and then bleed the system. 

#365 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

Really starting to feel like one step forward and two steps back with this car. When one thing gets fixed, something else breaks. 

Today we got the assemblies fitted on one side, only to find that the steering arm was bent. So we took off the arm and used the old one off the drum brake hub. Then my friend got the seized line off with a torch and then an angle grinder. Eventually, all the pipes were put back in place and the new lines were fitted with some fresh copper grease on the threads to keep it from seizing again. Here are the fitted components with everything torqued up to the book specs. 

z1NS5tb.jpg

I like the look of the new brake lines. They are pretty. 

qLZ5M8i.jpg

Then some new oil and filter with some thread tape on the dodgy sump plug to prevent it from leaking. (It leaks a lot...) The car did need a service so this is good timing too. 

We then started to bleed the brakes and halfway through pumping, the pedal wouldn't depress anymore and no fluid would come out. Turns out the master cylinder had failed and was jammed. It needs to come out and be rebuilt. Hence, me saying one component keeps failing after another. 

It helps that my friend is experienced as he can tell me what is wrong and what works. Problem is, I really am starting to feel disheartened. The only saving grace is that everything seems to be failing in succession and I've either had the parts to fix it or it was spotted before something worse happened. First was the wheel bearing, then the wheel cylinder and the pot joint gaiter and now the master cylinder. 

#366 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:09 PM

Also, let me not end on a bad note. I will get the car fixed with my friend's help. He already told me how we need to take out the master cylinder and what follows from there. So we shall do the job. Probably not soon though, due to work commitments, which is a bit frustrating. 

#367 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 11:49 AM

Master cylinder was fine. Turns out it was the valve in front of it that had failed. We swapped it out for another one, started bleeding the system and fluid starts pouring out of the caliper piston. Turns out I pinched the seal and tore it when fitting the piston. Yay... now it's another week without a driving car (and it's generally forecast as downpours for the next week), and I'm not too sure where to get replacement seals locally. It is always something with this car. 

#368 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 02:10 PM

He lives again!!!!!! Yay :)

#369 Will16

Will16

Wants a custom member title

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:53 PM

Nice one man! Brakes sorted then?

#370 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 06:43 PM

Nice one man! Brakes sorted then?

Yeah. I think they need bedding in and I am still keen to fit a booster to make the pedal feel a little better. 

#371 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

So, I decided to buy some wheels... probably shouldn't have, but they're 10x6j, were decently priced, and are I think they'd be cool when refurbished. 

SsTj27P.jpg
ie22gJt.jpg 
zVKAjxc.jpg

#372 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 07:36 AM

and the Mini has broken again :( Loud banging sound coming from the drivetrain when I started heading home last night at 10:30 p.m. 

Recorded some audio on my phone as I limped the car back to work and some friends suggest it's possibly the CV joints that have come loose (don't know how though). 

Need to see if I can fix this today. 

#373 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 05:23 PM

and the Mini has broken again :( Loud banging sound coming from the drivetrain when I started heading home last night at 10:30 p.m. 

Recorded some audio on my phone as I limped the car back to work and some friends suggest it's possibly the CV joints that have come loose (don't know how though). 

Need to see if I can fix this today. 

Wheel nuts hadn't been tightened by the assistant of my friend :\ 

Not too worried though. Nothing broke, no one got hurt and I have put 3 nuts per wheel so I can get the car home. 

I hope we get imperial threaded wheel nuts locally. 

#374 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 08:59 PM

That was lucky!

#375 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:44 PM

Not much of an update. Busy getting things tested/fixed. Took in the old brake booster to get it tested today. Should hear from them on Monday. 

Also, after chatting with Jared and a few of the other local Mini folks, I decided to look into getting the exhaust manifold electroplated (apparently, the results are better than using high temp paint or ceramic coating). Since it was in the same area as the brake shop, I dropped it off to get plated. 

Lastly, I needed to get the wheel alignment done, as there was quite a bit of toe out at the front. Took it in to get this done and I was really chuffed with the quality of service and general professionalism from the staff. The best part of the trip is that my steering wheel is finally centered! For the longest time when driving straight, the wheel has been rotated at a small angle. Some of the guys said the issue was with the rack not being centralised when fitted and others suggested that the steering wasn't fitted straight originally. Turns out the rack ends were not correctly set. 

So, the car tracks right now and has a straight wheel when doing so :) 

Jared had said I should get some more pics up, so since the car was up on the ramp it seemed like a nice opportunity to take a few.

nE6GOAZ.jpg

S4EHPYk.jpg

tYDPoCr.jpg

SGtzYym.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users