Photo

Carbon Fibre Skinning. Would You Like A Mini Specific Service?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

Usual late night idea thread.....

I am a big fan of carbon fibre items on cars.  The problem being, for a part made of 100% carbon fibre (Carbon Weezle, Arc Angels, curley etc etc), you are going to pay a fair amount of money for it.  

This is where carbon skinning comes into its own!  It is effectively adding a layer of carbon fibre cloth over a metal/plastic/wooden part and applying resin and lacquers to make it appear like a full carbon item.  It is not to be confused with the cheap and unrealistic 3M wrap you will no doubt have seen before.  Obviously its not for lightweight applications as really you are adding weight, however it does look great and can really modernise or extend the life of an old part.

I was wondering if people would be interested in this for their Minis and if so, what would you expect to pay, taking into account the cost and labour involved in skinning the parts?  It would obviously be with parts supplied, not bought and then skinned for you but you get the idea.  

As I see it, there is nothing out there for carbon skinning mini items specifically so thought I would ask!

Any thoughts, positive or negative appreciated!

Andrew :)

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:42 AM

So.

What would you could you skin?

Can't thing of anything that I would think it would help. Or bling.

#3 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

So.

What would you could you skin?

Can't thing of anything that I would think it would help. Or bling.

Anything and everything.  Dashboard parts, grilles, fuel tanks, mirrors, headlamp rings etc etc.  Pretty much anything.  See here for what you can do.  https://www.google.c...iw=1680&bih=961

I know you are a function over form kinda guy from previous posts.  This is more a form over function deal. Its not designed to 'help' anything, just make it look nicer.  Like chrome, it serves no function really apart from looking good. (and i know chrome is really a protective coating, much like this is)

Edited by Mini 360, 13 January 2015 - 12:48 AM.

#4 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:00 AM

I have been known to do form.

Just trying to see where it might go..

You mentioning the tank get me thinking.

Reading your first post you are offering a bonded carbon skin? Onto supplied parts?

Ok that is an option. But people who bling come (or I have found) in two forms. Ones that can do and others that can't.

What about carbon stick ons as well.

Back to the tank. A nice carbon cover that will make the tank look nice and cover the whole visable bits. Strap sender etc.

One word of warning relying on people to send in parts for exchange has issues. I know people who found it just does not work unless you get it in first.

My issue with skinning is that to look good it needs to fully cover the part and where the original is in contact with another part the skin needs trimming back and then dies not look too good after time.

Seen on bike parts and car parts.

I see potential but also issues as the customer will be wanting it to look like real solid carbon..

I read somwhere someone thinking about skinning their wheels. Mmmmm. Hope the edges are sealed and smooth.

I would just do some and take pics etc.....

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:08 AM

One bit of carbon "bling" I almost bought was some clip on wing mirror covers for my T4.

Now that type of idea for the mini. Clip one mirror covers. Interior as well.

Gear stick covers? Just the metal rod part.

Just my thoughts.

#6 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Get what you mean.  This is carbon being physically bonded to components though, rather than a removable cover.

Any more for any more?  Anyone that would be interested n such a service?

#7 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:21 PM

Covers would be an idea, however if its just for looks i'd be tempted to hydrodip as the technology and realism of materials now is amazing.

#8 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

Covers would be an idea, however if its just for looks i'd be tempted to hydrodip as the technology and realism of materials now is amazing.

Hydro dip looks very different when put side by side with real carbon.  You cant make a 3D pattern that changes depending on the angle you view it, on a 2D print.  Admitedly it is a nice technology but the carbon looks nothing like the real deal.  Much like the 3M vinyl I mentioned above.

For example....hydro dipping... (I didnt know carbon fibre was silver :lol:)

hydrographics-carbon-fiber.png

vs the real deal, wet lay sheets with resin built up in layers and lacquered on top to give a smooth, glossy finish with great depth

2012-04-30-17.23.19.jpg

The dipping is not something I would be getting into.  

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hydrodipping has come a long way, although i do agree it looks a little flat in the first pic but that is the older technology. If you could do it, a rear number plate light housing would be cool.

#10 Bubblebobble

Bubblebobble

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

I cant really see what people would want , it doesnt seem to be fashionable with minis to many people . And i presume its going to cost a fair bit , so if people had that sort of money , would they not just buy a full carbon bonnet etc .

#11 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

I cant really see what people would want , it doesnt seem to be fashionable with minis to many people . And i presume its going to cost a fair bit , so if people had that sort of money , would they not just buy a full carbon bonnet etc .

Its nore for smaller items that you cant get in carbon fibre really.  No point in skinning a bonnet if you can buy one ready made in carbon.  It would be more for trim pieces, door handles, wing mirrors etc which you cant get in carbon already.  

#12 rusty789

rusty789

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Local Club: Basingstoke Mini Club

Posted 14 January 2015 - 07:54 AM

Gear stick covers? Just the metal rod part.

Search carbon tube on eBay, that will have that covered.

#13 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

I guess I will have to skin a few Mini parts to show what it will be like on Mini bits.  

#14 cubby1701

cubby1701

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Local Club: causeway coast mini club

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

would be interested depending on costs. Headlight rings mirrors dash centre console

#15 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:23 PM

Ideally I wouldnt be doing a stock of say 20 sets of headlamp rings to sell.  I would want to take a part you have then carbon skin that, then send it back to you.  All depends on demand I guess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users