Looking great?

#392 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:34 AM

So on with the timing. Got the dial on and following the MiniMania youtube video the cam is at 109deg when it should be 107... Will have to order a 2deg woodruff key to sort it out  O_O

hHoU7fd.jpg

Got the oil pump in and torqued up. I cleaned up the threads on the bolts and added some locktight.

MQqWv1F.jpg

I decided to actual start putting stuff on the block as I can't carry on with the timing end or clutch (the primary gear is with Guessworks)

unvU2A2.jpg

Head on and fingertight bolted down

oTHFUC7.jpg

And the oil pressure switch/temp/relief valve

Q

#393 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,899 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:56 AM

I'd get your filter on too whilst you're at it. Will stop detritis getting in to the oil gallery and smashing those new bearings.

#394 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:20 PM

I'd get your filter on too whilst you're at it. Will stop detritis getting in to the oil gallery and smashing those new bearings.

Annoyingly I haven't got one, that'll be in the next Minispares order...

Moving along, I washed some of the ducting and plastic parts:

Tt6UzI0.jpg

And mad a start cleaning the old double sided tape off the rubber that sits under the fuel tank:

ZPxsAVj.jpg

Then decided to start bolting all the bits back on the engine. One to see if I had lost any parts, and two, I just wanted it to look cool

jgGngxb.jpg

jKIgBrm.jpg

99iRaIB.jpg

God I can't wait to get it all properly done!

Q

#395 Dutchdave's25

Dutchdave's25

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:34 AM

Looking good James, don't forget to mount your lower steady rod bracket. I forgot to mount mine and had to mount it with the engine in the car.. and have an oil leak now.. pfff.

( i just assumed you have the same bracket on a mpi engine )

#396 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:26 AM

Looking good James, don't forget to mount your lower steady rod bracket. I forgot to mount mine and had to mount it with the engine in the car.. and have an oil leak now.. pfff.

( i just assumed you have the same bracket on a mpi engine )

Good shout, will do!

#397 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:48 PM

So, lower steady bracket on!

VfqO5QA.jpg

I started drilling out the manifold for the heat shield bolt, but none of my drills will touch it :(

NZ9rUhi.jpg

Have ordered some new drill bits.

I decided to carry on with some of the stickers I was making. I got some nice glossy vinyl sticker paper and got designing!

gjQfYQf.jpg

NEHWikT.jpg

wZOnsJ8.jpg

m8DystB.jpg

I think they look pretty good :)

Q

#398 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:09 PM

Ace!

#399 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:54 PM

Then decided to start bolting all the bits back on the engine. One to see if I had lost any parts, and two, I just wanted it to look cool

jgGngxb.jpg

Q

James, have you painted the gold parts yourself or are they new cadmium plated parts? Very impressive!

Stu.

#400 Bdshim

Bdshim

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:50 AM

Love the stickers great detail

#401 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:58 AM

Q

James, have you painted the gold parts yourself or are they new cadmium plated parts? Very impressive!

Stu.

I got all the parts plated by a local company. They were pretty terrible service and quality wise, so can't recommend them...

Q

#402 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:04 AM

I’ve got to ask as I’m an arse - were the spelling mistakes on the original stickers?

#403 MaximMini

MaximMini

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:30 AM

Hi James,

Your stickers really look great. I had a good laugh though as you got the spelling wrong on the German writing. Any support needed just let me know.

Christian

#404 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 07:03 AM

Hi James,

Your stickers really look great. I had a good laugh though as you got the spelling wrong on the German writing. Any support needed just let me know.

Christian

Yes there are a fair few mistakes to correct (unless they made a mistake on the original warning label! ;) )

Q

#405 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 23 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

So, lower steady bracket on!

VfqO5QA.jpg

I started drilling out the manifold for the heat shield bolt, but none of my drills will touch it :(

NZ9rUhi.jpg

Have ordered some new drill bits.

I decided to carry on with some of the stickers I was making. I got some nice glossy vinyl sticker paper and got designing!

gjQfYQf.jpg

NEHWikT.jpg

wZOnsJ8.jpg

m8DystB.jpg

I think they look pretty good :)

Q

Project is looking brilliant so far.

1) Seen you still have a stock manifold on your S Works conversion.  Did you keep the original because of the better location of the O2 sensor?  I don't think the Manifold LCB that comes with the kit does a lot, did you notice anything different?  Must admit, I'd like the idea of a heat shield between my manifold and the induction system - had a very minor heat issue causing difficulty starting when a hot engine was causing evaporation when I was waiting for a ferry last year.

2) Could you share your file with the stickers please?  My wife has a fairly fancy printer that can cut as well - I've a file for a stone chip guard for the rear wheel arch.  Has a set on mine for 4 years now and they're still just about invisible.  Will send a set if you want.

3) Seen you putting a sticker on a fuel pipe that looked as if its original - are you going to use the fuel pressure regulator from the S kit again?  I love mine, gets me through MOT nicely and keep a screwdriver in the car for the journey home afterwards.

Loving your work.  Loved your Youtube video on your S conversion too.  Studied it well before I fitted mine.

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users