13 replies to this topic

#1 AntonCandyApple

AntonCandyApple

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

Hi everyone my name is Anton i'm 23 years old living in South Africa.

I recently bought a Mini Austin 1968 for a project car, but the thing is i'm clueless i need to find out what engine size i have.

Its not the original and don't comply with my papers, where on the engine can I find the info that I need. none of the numbers I checked was long enough for an engine number.

If someone could please help me locate this or help identify my engine that would be great.

if this helps its a Morris engine.

Thanks.

#2 AntonCandyApple

AntonCandyApple

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

I also need help with my brakes, when I press the pedal down it goes like there is no resistance.

We tried bleeding it but nothing helped. Any ideas?

Thanks

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,909 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi and welcome to TMF. Use this website to try and decode what engine you have installed
http://www.guess-wor...ech/engine.htm.

There should be a small plate on the engine riveted to the block. This will be the engine identification.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

As to the brakes what have you got fitted?? Drums brakes all round or has it had a disc brake conversion at the front?? Is there any sign of leakage at the slave cylinders??

#5 AntonCandyApple

AntonCandyApple

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

Hi thanks for the website i'll check it out now, as for the brakes its drums all around, I don't see any leakages and both brake fluid containers are full. when i bought the car there was a vice-grip on one of the pipes we took it off and some guys tried to fix it and now i'm stuck.

#6 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,909 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:21 AM

There is only one brake master cylinder which is the one in the left as you look in the engine bay, the other is the clutch.

If there was a pair of visegrips on one of the flexi pipes then I suspect the slave cylinder on that drum could be at fault. It maybe an idea to strip each drum down and check to make sure all is good. Also check to see each drum adjuster works and is adjusted correctly. While you have it all apart you can see each individual slave cylinder. You should be able to move these with some pressure. Don't go mad. If they are rock solid and will not move at all release the bleed nipple and try again. If still solid then more than likely seized and will need to be replaced.

#7 AntonCandyApple

AntonCandyApple

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

Thank you I will have a look this weekend  :D

#8 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:46 AM

Hi Anton, just a suggestion but there is a strong contingent of mini owners in SA and in Pretoria. I will PM you the links to the facebook pages :) 

#9 AntonCandyApple

AntonCandyApple

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:45 AM

Thank you so much!

#10 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:17 PM

This will not be the advice you were hoping for but I will make the case anyway.

The car is 47 years old, new to you, and arrived with brake problems.  Assume all the brakes are rubbish.  Replace the flex lines, and wheel cylinders at a minimum.  Obviously, if the shoes are worn replace them at the same time.  Master cylinders can be rebuilt with good results if their bore is not pitted.  Yes, it will cost some money and take time but you will have more confidence in the brakes and car when done.

With drums all around, make sure you read through your manual and spend the time to adjust them correctly.  If the brakes are not adjusted properly you will have a "long" brake pedal that may require a second pump to develop any firmness.  Obviously that is not good in a panic situation.  If you start with some brakes and the pedal slowly sinks with your foot pushing down, focus your attention on the master cylinder seals.

#11 AntonCandyApple

AntonCandyApple

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:27 PM

Thanks I think i should start with installing front disc brakes for my car. But i appreciate the help!

#12 Miniac86

Miniac86

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

Howzat Anton and welcome to TMF, like Vinay has mentioned we have a large contingency of mini owners here in SA I live in Durbs, Vinay down the Cape, WillySA in Pretoria and mk3Jared in Kokstad and many more. You'll find our local forum in my signature and most of our members frequent both TMF and MOCKZN and many of us have good relationships and friendships with many members on here as well. So feel free to join our local group as well so we can assist you in finding parts locally as well as good mechanics and advice if and when needed.

#13 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

Howzat Anton and welcome to TMF, like Vinay has mentioned we have a large contingency of mini owners here in SA I live in Durbs, Vinay down the Cape, WillySA in Pretoria and mk3Jared in Kokstad and many more. You'll find our local forum in my signature and most of our members frequent both TMF and MOCKZN and many of us have good relationships and friendships with many members on here as well. So feel free to join our local group as well so we can assist you in finding parts locally as well as good mechanics and advice if and when needed.

Thumbs up to this! It is great to know that there is local help :)

#14 AntonCandyApple

AntonCandyApple

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

Thanks you guys are awesome!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine, brakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users