#1 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Local Club: nsmoc

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:34 PM

Hi guys. Was looking at my carb today as there is some play in the spindle. I took it off and it and the bushes are very warn. How would I go about removing the old bushes to replace them? I don't want to drill them out in case I go too far. could I apply heat or make a small cut and turn it out?
Thanks in advance

#2 Stu1961

Stu1961

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Local Club: Still Looking

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:01 PM

If it was me I would send the carb body to Burlen Fuels so they could replace them. The last time I looked I think they charged about £50 to do it. Wouldn't like to do this job myself as I would imagine there is quite a high risk of damaging the body beyond repair.

Once saw an article by a chap who adapted a couple of reamers to cut backwards his method used the opposite hole to guide the reamer can't remember how it worked fully but it was along those lines.     

#3 dennismini93

dennismini93

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts
  • Local Club: nsmoc

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:08 PM

Ok thank you. That's what a few people have said now so think that's what I'll have to do, seams a shame to not have a go but like you say not worth the risk.

Oh that sounds interesting and something I doubt I could make. Might have to look into it out of interest tho

#4 djdanmk

djdanmk

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:25 PM

They have to be drilled out then line reamed before the new bushes are installed.

I asked the same question a while back about replacing them.

http://www.theminifo...ng-replacement/

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,951 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:27 PM

Usually the spindle wears quicker than the bushes and sometimes while a new spindle is needed, the body doesn't always need bushing (or re-bushing if it's been done before).

If you've got access to a drill press it's fairly easy to drill the body and replace them, but you'll want a good Right Angle Plate to camp the carb body to, I have a piece of heavy angle iron that I've been using to do these for a very long time, never had an issue.

To line it all up before drilling, mount the spindle in the chuck, lower it through the carb body then clamp it off. Test it by moving the chuck up and down while watching the spindle for any movement, once you're satisfied it's lined up, drill away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users