Photo
- - - - -

Rubbish End To A Long Day

Best Answer likeaboss , 22 February 2015 - 12:25 PM

Problem Solved!!!

turns out i had lost a washer for the big nut that screws on top of the inlet manifold which i assume from the noise was sucking in to much air and affecting the mixture.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 likeaboss

likeaboss

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:43 PM

So after spending almost 6 hours trying to change the top engine steady bar (5 of which was trying to get the bolt from out of the bulkhead!)

i finally managed to get everything back together.

expecting to be able to start up and head home the engine now sounds totally different and will not idle with out a dose of choke or a bootfull of throttle.

it sounds as if the mixture/idle speed could be wrong but how could this have been interfered with when i was no where near the carb?

any thought ideas?! 

many thanks

#2 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

Have you bent the jet on the bottom of the carb ?

#3 jayh29

jayh29

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill mini group

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

Hi mate, maybe an exhaust leak if the new bar/mount has pushed the engine slightly forward?

#4 likeaboss

likeaboss

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:57 PM

Guessworks - no i dont think so managed to stay as far from the carb as possible. 

jayh29 - it is definitely blowing a bit more than it was before (the reason for changing the mounts in the first place!)  had it blowing a lot worse before and still managed to run ok if a little Noisy

#5 jayh29

jayh29

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Local Club: Box Hill mini group

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:04 PM

Guessworks - no i dont think so managed to stay as far from the carb as possible. 

jayh29 - it is definitely blowing a bit more than it was before (the reason for changing the mounts in the first place!)  had it blowing a lot worse before and still managed to run ok if a little Noisy

Strange one.....I would (if you haven't already) tighten up all the exhaust system including manifold nuts...also check rubber seal on the air filter to carb if you removed filter.

#6 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

Have you put the earth strap back on?

#7 likeaboss

likeaboss

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:24 PM

Have you put the earth strap back on?

yep made sure of that 

#8 stickycreambun

stickycreambun

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:38 AM

Straight away I thought earth strap too, def got good metal-metal connections? Hopefully something that simple. Could take a jump lead and try it as an extra earth?

#9 lsto

lsto

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi, what engine, year and carb is it? On my 91 cooper there are a lot of vacuum pipes that run near the top steady, I know because I had a nightmare changing mine last month. Also on my car the fuel pipes to the carb runs up that side. You may have disturbed a vacuum pipe or something whilst struggling with the mount, I would have said its mixture related rather than electrical if it starts ok. Also I had my old 998 snap off at the manifold and the engine still ran fine so I wouldn't have thought it was that.

#10 likeaboss

likeaboss

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hi, what engine, year and carb is it? On my 91 cooper there are a lot of vacuum pipes that run near the top steady, I know because I had a nightmare changing mine last month. Also on my car the fuel pipes to the carb runs up that side. You may have disturbed a vacuum pipe or something whilst struggling with the mount, I would have said its mixture related rather than electrical if it starts ok. Also I had my old 998 snap off at the manifold and the engine still ran fine so I wouldn't have thought it was that.

its a 1994 1275 with a hif 38 carb. 

pretty sure all the vac pipes are attached. 

yeah def thinking its the mixture that needs adjusting bit of a novice with tuning carbs to get them running sweet but ill twiddle a couple of screws and see whats what! 

#11 likeaboss

likeaboss

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:25 PM   Best Answer

Problem Solved!!!

turns out i had lost a washer for the big nut that screws on top of the inlet manifold which i assume from the noise was sucking in to much air and affecting the mixture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users