Photo

Help On 160-65-315 Metro Tyre Alternatives ?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 10:07 PM

I am running 160-65-315 on my metro I am aware that these are the metric tyres and rims
I have been trying to find what alternative tyres or rims I can buy now a days? But not having much joy Any help will be very much appreciated as I have had a tyre start to delaminate today and I want to change all four for safety reasons and don't want to buy second hand .
The only site that came up with some new tyres is a old website

1. Is there another tyre I can fit to my steel rim ?
2. What other rim can I use that has the same pcd as mine ?

Edited by mm man, 14 March 2015 - 11:02 PM.

#2 MattMiniS96

MattMiniS96

Half pint guy in a half pint car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 12:30 AM

I had the exact issue when I had my metro.
Easy thing to do is to buy 12 or 13 inch rims and get tyres for them.
I went for the 12 inch mini steel wheels. You will have to trim the four bits of metal (I forget what they're called) on the front hub otherwise its quite tight to get them on.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 March 2015 - 01:48 AM

Minispares flog drive flanges for vented discs  with the lugs removed. Though I'd have thought it wouldn't be too hard to find Metro rims.

#4 Archived4

Archived4

One Carb Or Two?

• Archived
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:24 AM

Either remove the drive flanges or fit 13'' metro alloys in imperial sizing

#5 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

I had the exact issue when I had my metro.
Easy thing to do is to buy 12 or 13 inch rims and get tyres for them.
I went for the 12 inch mini steel wheels. You will have to trim the four bits of metal (I forget what they're called) on the front hub otherwise its quite tight to get them on.

Minispares flog drive flanges for vented discs  with the lugs removed. Though I'd have thought it wouldn't be too hard to find Metro rims.

Either remove the drive flanges or fit 13'' metro alloys in imperial sizing

Cheers guys
Are the metro imperial rims the mk 1 ones?
Am I right in thinking the later metro rims have a different pcd ( seem to have got this from somewhere ? )

#6 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

you will find metro alloys on ebay or join one of the facebook groups and you will pick up a set.

I have a few sets of 13" metro turbo alloys, I MIGHT sell  set for the right money? they are the same as the wheels in my pics below.....

#7 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

early mk1 metro wheels are 12" but they use 135 width tyres which are still tricky to get.

I would be cautious of using some mini alloys on a metro if you are considering it as the offset is very different and they will really stick out

rover metro/100 wheels are a different PCD and so wont fit, well not without modifying your hubs. you can swap your rear hubs and drums and they will fit the rear easily enough, but the fronts would need to be re-drilled and new studs fitted.

#8 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

Yeah the mk1's had 12" steels. Hard to come by a decent set these days though.

As said above the turbo alloys are 13" aswell as the gta(?) wheels.

You are right in thinking the pcd changes, but this happens when the metro goes to rover in the early 90's.

The only problem with fitting mini wheels, is that offset is different so they stick out further. Having fitted a few different mini wheels to metro's, i'm yet to find this an issue

#9 bigrob

bigrob

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:54 PM

It appears i was beat to it haha

#10 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:22 PM

The PCD changed to 100mm with the major revamp for the K Series engine. Finding 135 section tyres could be hard, but there are other options for 12 inch rims.

http://www.ebay.co.u...6056?rmvSB=true

#11 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

The PCD changed to 100mm with the major revamp for the K Series engine.

No it didn't. They went back to the old Triumph standard (at least I think it was Triumph), three and three-quarter inches but they wouldn't quote it as that at that time - they would give you the 95.25 millimetres to pretend that they were on a metric standard. I never understood the reasoning behind this change, going to 4x100mm I could have understood or retaining 4x4"but to go to another imperial standard just puzzles me.

To the OP - whereabouts are you? I have a set of Austin Metro GTa 13" alloys I would sell cheap but I'm not messing around with a courier so if you are hundreds of miles away they are no good to you.

Iain

#12 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,416 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:35 PM

Well I live 'n learn if that's correct. I suppose it makes sense if there was a reason to stop wheels off the A Series Metty's being retro fitted. You could fit 4" pcd on a 100mm - badly.

#13 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Cheers guys interesting reading if not a little confusing with so many options
The good news at the moment is that I have found two new Dunlop 135 tyres for now so gives me a bit of breathing time for now

On eBay at the moment theres a set of metro 12" rims with tyres 135 r12 65 am I right in thinking these wheels will fit but are the tyres still a pain to found ? ( are these quite skinny )?
I would really like to stick to steels if I can as I want to keep the original look if possible

Edited by mm man, 17 March 2015 - 10:11 PM.

#14 ibrooks

ibrooks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts
  • Local Club: Leyland Mini Club

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

Yes those are very skinny.

Your current tyres are 160/65/315 which means they are 160mm wide and go onto a wheel with a 315mm diameter bead (that's the bit where the tyre actually sits and not the outside diameter).

135/65/12 are only 135mm wide and go on a 12" rim (again bead diameter not the outside diameter).

The next worry is the middle number. That's the aspect ratio (sidewall height) and it's quoted as a percentage of the width so your current tyres are 65% of 160mm high or 104mm. So the nominal overall diameter of your current wheels and tyres is 104+315+104=523mm. The 135's will be around 480mm. That's nearly a 10% drop.

Iain

Edited by ibrooks, 18 March 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#15 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 09:30 PM

Yes those are very skinny.

Your current tyres are 160/65/315 which means they are 160mm wide and go onto a wheel with a 315mm diameter bead (that's the bit where the tyre actually sits and not the outside diameter).

135/65/12 are only 135mm wide and go on a 12" rim (again bead diameter not the outside diameter).

The next worry is the middle number. That's the aspect ratio (sidewall height) and it's quoted as a percentage of the width so your current tyres are 65% of 160mm high or 104mm. So the nominal overall diameter of your current wheels and tyres is 104+315+104=523mm. The 135's will be around 480mm. That's nearly a 10% drop.

Iain

Thanks Iain
For your time and your full explanation it's was a real help
Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users