Photo

No 12V Ignition To Startermotor

Best Answer Thilemann , 03 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

The problem with the starter, was the big relay. It had a bad soldering, so after giving it some new tin, it was running again.

Messing so much with the relay, i accidentally broke a wire (It had obviously been repaired before), so after resoldering the wire back in place, the fuel pump was working again, and my mini was again running. Thanks to all who took the time, to help :)

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Thilemann

Thilemann

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

My 1993 spi suddenly won't start. I have since changed fuse box and connections to it, so that's fine. When I turn the key to ignition position, and take 12v directly from battery to starter 12v ignition it starts! Any ideas of what I could possibly do, to make this work? Thanks

#2 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

It could well be an issue with the starter relay inside the relay box. There is a black box which mounts to the left of the air box, two big connectors coming out of it. There are some relays in there, one of which is the starter. The fact that it starts and runs if you provide a feed to the starter motor directly, means that the other relays are OK - Main relay, fuel pump relay etc. Could be a faulty relay, burned out tracks on the circuit board, damaged wiring where the two connectors go into the box. I have had issues here where the wiring had chafed through on the clutch master cylinder pipework, in my case it caused a short which burned out tracks inside the relay box.

If you turn the key over the cranking position, can you hear a relay clicking inside this relay box?

Do you have an immobiliser on this car?

For a good description of how the relay pack works, have a read at this:

http://www.theminifo...-functionality/

Edited by carlukemini, 02 April 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#3 Thilemann

Thilemann

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:31 PM

Thank you for the reply. Before reading this, I actually took the relay apart. The fuel pump didn't run today as well. After taking it apart it looked fine. When I pushed the relays manually I could make the fuel pump go, but not the starter. I'm actually thinking it could be something with the ignition cylinder. But it does click in the mentioned relay, when I turn the key. I find it really weird!

#4 Thilemann

Thilemann

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:32 PM

I know this is kind of silly, but is there a guide to how I can hot wire my car, to check whether the ignition is fine?

Edited by Thilemann, 02 April 2015 - 09:45 PM.

#5 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:10 PM

Does it have an immobiliser as asked by Carlukemini ?

FS

#6 Thilemann

Thilemann

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

No, it doesn't. But when I renovated it, it had a horn in the engine bay, and I can see the wires has been cut and reconnected beneath the ignition. So I believe it has had, but it is all removed!

#7 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:09 AM

You are going to have to trace the wiring, modified looms and the like make it difficult to advise anything else.
Multimeter, clipboard and a big cup of tea. Start with the earths first and then work back from the starter.

FS

#8 Thilemann

Thilemann

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

Thank you very much. I'll have a look. And come back if I don't have any luck fixing it 👍

#9 southlincspickup

southlincspickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Local Club: Bomber county minis

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

Thilemann have you had any luck with our problem?

im really struggling to get to the bottom of this issue

electrics are not my strongest point and this really has me baffeled

:mmkay: 

#10 Thilemann

Thilemann

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:23 PM   Best Answer

The problem with the starter, was the big relay. It had a bad soldering, so after giving it some new tin, it was running again.

Messing so much with the relay, i accidentally broke a wire (It had obviously been repaired before), so after resoldering the wire back in place, the fuel pump was working again, and my mini was again running. Thanks to all who took the time, to help :)

Attached Files

Edited by Thilemann, 03 April 2015 - 07:24 PM.

#11 southlincspickup

southlincspickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:04 AM

I have just taken my relay apart
do you think this could be my problem?
thanks

Attached Files

#12 Thilemann

Thilemann

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:48 AM

I'm not really strong in circuit boards, but that looks pretty nasty! It looks like it has burned the connection. I would suggest you borrow a relay, and test it, before buying a new (I believe a new is 80 pound in UK, 110 pound here in Denmark).  Again, i'm not pretty strong in curcuit boards, so double check before doing this. But i think you could actually solder a wire between the two points, and test it.  (Or just connect it by holding a wire, and try and click the starter relay on the board, or make a friend turn the key). Be sure, not to put the board on any metal when power is connected. It could make a short curcuit.

#13 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

The section you have circled is the connection to the coil of the starter relay which is located in the rear right of the MFU (or rear left looking at the circuit board side as you picture). Good advice from Thilemann above or since you have it out use your multimeter and check for continuity using the diagram in the pinned section "SPi Relay Pack Functionality"

I'm with Carlukemini on this one, it looks like either the MFU is faulty or the wiring to it is damaged.

FS

Edited by FlyingScot, 04 April 2015 - 07:21 AM.

#14 southlincspickup

southlincspickup

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:25 AM

thanks guys I will give this a try and keep you updated later

#15 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:08 PM

Yeah, when my wiring shorted out on the clutch master pipe, it took out quite a few tracks on the board. I just bridged the gaps by scraping the masking off and soldering pieces of wire in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users