#136 psmini

psmini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 28 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

Looks amazing!  I plan to do a Euro trip in my SPI Mayfair in the next couple of years.  Glad you like the UE boom, I work for Logitech who make them and they're great.

#137 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 05:57 PM

Having completed 2000 miles across Europe without a hitch we went to Devon and in the rain on the way back the alternator failed and I've noticed the water pump is rumbly.
I thought I'd replace the alternator nose bearing first and bought one locally for a tenner.
Then I noticed that Gold Lion Auto-Electrics on Ebay do a complete re-furbish kit including both bearings, brushes, slip rings, rectifier and regulator for £15!!
Once it arrived I started re-fitting it only to forget to replace the slip rings insulator.
This meant I had to destroy the new rings getting them off the rotor again.
I rang Gold lion to order new ones and they sent them for the cost of the postage only.
You don't often get that level of customer service!
I made a new insulator from the side of an orange juice tetra-pak and fitted the new rings.
I polished the casings and re-painted the stator ring so just need to wait for the nuts & bolts to be re-plated to finish it off.
I also bought an NOS Smiths 80mm tacho on Ebay which I've wired up - now waiting for a dash housing for it on back order from Minispares.
It's great to see the tacho needle surging - brings the dash alive010_zpsfmnvwaxj.jpg

008_zpslqbiuc19.jpg

011_zpsikqyyens.jpg

Edited by johnR, 01 November 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#138 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

sorry computer refusing to show pictures again!!

#139 Vinay-RS

Vinay-RS

Put's foolish ideas in peoples heads

• Members
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Neat Smiths tacho. It'll look good in your car.

#140 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:55 PM

My tacho pod arrived from MiniSpares together with a new water pump.
I've fitted the pod and wired it in except a feed from the lights for the dial illumination.
I also picked up the newly plated parts for the alternator and re-assembled that - looks very shiney now!
Just need to repaint the pulley and fan and I can get it back on.
tacho%20in%20pod_zpsysgkietq.jpg[/URL]

alternator%20polished_zps9qihzblo.jpg

Edited by johnR, 01 November 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#141 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:03 PM

I've replaced the waterpump - the bearing was rough after seven years idle even though it wasn't leaking.
I bolted the newly re-furbished alternator back on and started it up to discover that it still wasn't charging!
No obvious reason until it came to me in the middle of the night several days later - I'd taken the knackered speedo and the associated loom off the car while I sorted a new one - the earths that join on the back of the speedo are obviously critical to the alternator working!
with the extension loom plugged back in it all works fine again so there hadn't actually been anything wrong with it to start with Doh! You live and learn - at least the alternator is like new! And I've had the experience of re-furbishing it and found a good parts supplier.
With the stress of it all the battery seems to have died - but I'll triple check that it really is before I replace it!
007_zpslega56j5.jpg

copying the IMG from photobucket then 'control v' seems a complete fail for photos on my computer now - anyone any suggestions of another way?
John

Edited by johnR, 01 November 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#142 Keith Staley

Keith Staley

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:22 PM

copying the IMG from photobucket then 'control v' seems a complete fail for photos on my computer now - anyone any suggestions of another way?

When in photobucket, copy the 'Direct' link > then on TMF - reply to this topic > click on the image icon > paste the link inside the box & click ok > then hit the post button > done

007_zpslega56j5.jpg

#143 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

Or just copy the IMG code, and then in the 'quick reply' box on TMF, right click and then click 'paste'

It will display as a line of jargon until you click 'post' and then the picture is there

#144 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:29 PM

John

control and P is paste

#145 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,997 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:22 PM

Control and P is print

#146 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:28 PM

Control and P is print

Yes, you are quite right..

Been one of those days

#147 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

Hah! I caught my computer off guard this morning and posted all the pictures it hadn't let me through the blog! Result!

JohnR

#148 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

I'd fixed the alloy oil cap by cutting the lip on the rocker cover neck lip down to just enough to engage with the thread on the cap but it leaked oil when it got warm so I've bought a proper threaded ring - and ordered some steel tube to make an internal stepped stub to connect the two.

engine%204_zps2latxalj.jpg

oil%20cap_zpslrt0ampe.jpg

John

#149 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

The adapter has been turned up and the cap fitted.
I took the car out for a short run between storms recently and nearing home noticed a cloud of white smoke following me!
Stopping outside my garage to open the door left a large puddle of oil on the drive which didn't bode well!  The oil was coming out by the end of the rocker cover so I bought new gaskets and fitted one of them only to find the oil pumping out as before! Further investigation showed a hole in the plastic oil pressure gauge pipe so I've bought and fitted a steel braided one.
Celebrated no more leaks with a run down to the beach for a photo in a rare moment of sunshine and bought some hiLo's ready to lower the back end to a more even keel at some point.

new%20oil%20pipe_zps9y9kjpoz.jpg

harbour_zpsijofjmus.jpg

hiLos_zpsdvdxcidi.jpg

Edited by johnR, 13 January 2016 - 03:42 PM.

#150 mk1leg

mk1leg

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,341 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Jersey, MCR

Posted 11 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

wow that's stunning......here is some of my mk1 retro mini.....

myresto71.jpg

myresto74.jpg

myresto75.jpg

myresto76.jpg

myresto77.jpg

myresto79.jpg

adfluxpics5.jpg

adfluxpics3.jpg

adfluxpics6.jpg

adfluxpics11.jpg

adfluxpics12.jpg

carbs%20fit%201_zpswypvl6nd.jpg