604 replies to this topic

#481 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 27 February 2021 - 09:05 PM

If you had to modify the pump to fit the cam, how have you ensured it is sitting tight and sealing on the gasket?

#482 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

When I installed it initially the cam was tight to turn which is what drew me to the problem. I relieved it until the cam turned freely with the pump torqued up and a whisker more  to be sure.

#483 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 04:58 PM

OK - just checking as if you'd installed the pump last (as I prefer to do then its not subjected to anything whilst the timing end is put together), you might've got a false torque reading and not had the pump fully nipped up.

#484 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 07 March 2021 - 06:00 PM

Gearbox stripping today. It was very difficult to engage first on this box (without first going to second) with the engine running. As there's no problem in this regard with the box on the 998 that's now back in it (and this also has the same flywheel and clutch) it would appear to be an issue with the box itself. It doesn't graunch so I don't really suspect the baulk ring but I might as well re-check everything while I can (and it's good experience!)  

#485 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 16 March 2021 - 05:17 PM

I've stripped the gearbox down as far as I can, but the 1st motion bearing does not want to come out. I've tried drifting it out from inside the box and pulling it out with a slide hammer attached to a bearing puller behind the nut. I've also tried heating the casing - obviously not enough as it still wont move far - and yes I have removed the circlip! 

The machinist still can't find anything wrong that might have caused the crank issues so I've taken him more of the engine parts for him to look at. Unfortunately my spare crank was worn on the primary gear journal but we think there will be enough material on new bushes to take up the slack - thanks for that info AC.

This is my slide-hammer arrangement - my reserve plan is to screw two bolts through the holes in the puller jaws onto the case and wind it out with them

PpRfp5g.jpg

CIhEmwJ.jpg

Edited by johnR, 16 March 2021 - 05:28 PM.

#486 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

Mini taken out of the garage, checked over ready for MOT on Monday and polished, put away again. Summer is coming!

9l6tEOQ.jpg

#487 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 05:17 PM

Nice looking, will your place pass it with those plates?

Mini taken out of the garage, checked over ready for MOT on Monday and polished, put away again. Summer is coming!

9l6tEOQ.jpg

#488 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:25 PM

Nice looking, will your place pass it with those plates?

9l6tEOQ.jpg

Good question! It's been through five MOTs with them on but may fall foul of the clampdown?

#489 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 06:47 PM

Under the current regulations they 'should' fail the mot.

#490 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:02 PM

Under the current regulations they 'should' fail the mot.

Back with fresh MOT - I had to sort out a misfire that was skewing the emissions - turned out to be a loose sparkplug nipple so an easy fix. The plates weren't mentioned. That's not to say that the black rats won't stop me on the road but I've dug out the old ones to swap over if someone has a problem with them.

qOC5TWX.jpg

Edited by johnR, 29 March 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#491 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:35 PM

Fantastic result!

#492 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:03 PM

Although the loose spark plug nipple was the main culprit in it not running right there seems to be something else not quite right as it struggles to pick up at low revs under load. I checked the distributor cap and rotor arm, both of which seemed OK, then tried dialling back the carb jet a turn in case it was overfuelling. This made it run worse so I went the other way, adding a little more fuel and this seems to have solved the issue although there's probably still some tweaking to be done. 

#493 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:49 PM

That does look great. You have made a really good job of it, well done.

My Grandson is doing something similar with a 1986 Mayfair.

It has a 1060 cc engine (998 at +80m thou), Mk.1 Grille, boot lid and rear lights plus a Mk.1 centre dash.

Like you, he wants a black & white number plate and has been looking at buying a 1964 or '65 plate, They are relatively cheap and do look 'period'.

He has done the Mk.1 sliding window modification which looks good, although we have yet to fit the windows.

It has twin HS2 carbs, 12G295 head, freeflow manifold and a 510 cam.

As I have a spare 998 block and an 1100 crank, I am proposing to build an 1180 cc engine sometime with an Evo001 cam.

Colour is Ford radiant red with a black roof. Wheels are 5 x 10 off of a Mini 1100 Special (Exacton).

#494 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:09 PM

Many thanks. I did consider buying an early number when I built the car as it doesn't look quite right with yellow and white plates, but after I ran out of time to get one before our European trip I didn't bother and just made the black and white plates for it. I think people think they're seeing a 'G' suffix plate and subliminally re-arrange the numbers to suit!

Is your grandson blogging his build here?    

#495 johnR

johnR

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:49 PM

The car had still been struggling to pick-up acceleration so I topped up the dash pot without result, then added advance by turning the dizzy which has solved the problem. Also dropped some new primary gear bushes off for fitting and matching to the replacement crank. Apparently the valves had been sticking in the head for some reason with the result that one had touched and marked a piston. Another mystery.

Edited by johnR, 10 April 2021 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users