Photo
- - - - -

Am I Being A Little Optimistic?! (Need Advice From The Experts)

engine

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 marcus_101

marcus_101

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

Alright I am obsessed with classic mini's. I have wanted one for as long as I can remember!! Which as I am only 20 probably isn't actually that long!!

My question can I use a mini as an every day car even if it has been completely restored...
My journey to work is 28 miles a day.
My next question if it is possible is which engine I don't really want a 1L, could a good condition 1275 handle it?

Also I have just found a completely restored mini with a MED engine with only 5200 on the clock which is the main reason I am asking!!
All you guys are pretty dam good so I am confident I won't take up to much of your time!!

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,490 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

Yes,my car is used daily, id advise to have a 2nd car available if the mini breaks though!

My dad is using our 998 as his commute car(70 miles per day) it can do more to be honest

Edited by cal844, 12 April 2015 - 08:06 AM.

#3 Carlos W

Carlos W

Mine is purple, but I have been told that's normal

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,110 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

You can use a mini every day, people have been for 50 years.

What kind of roads do you use on your journey to work?

A 1275 is more powerful than a 998 and has more torque but a lot of people love the 998.

One piece of advice, buy the car with the best bodywork you can, everything else is easier to fix.

There are lots of what to look for threads, or have a look through the projects section they all rot in similar places

#4 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:10 AM

What you have to remember is the Mini is a classic car, and even though the last one was produced only 15 years ago, it is still an ancient design. As long as you're prepared to constantly maintain the car there's no reason it can't be used as a daily runner. How do you think people managed in the past when a Mini was considered a "normal" car.
I'd find out what spec the MED engine is before buying it though, it could be completely unsuitable for a daily runner.

Phil.

#5 M J W J

M J W J

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Local Club: not yet

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

I used a 998cc mini as a daily drive for over two years.

I used to do about 42 miles a day in it back and forth to college and work. I have done a few longer trips as well such as Market Drayton to Brighton in one go (which always makes me laugh when people ask if their mini will do London to Bright) and have drive from Nottingham to Cardiff in one go as well.

You just need to maintain them properly to the expected service schedule. Classic cars don't tend to go as long between service intervals compared to new cars which is what I think causes people problems.

#6 marcus_101

marcus_101

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

MED 1380 Road Competition Engine and Cylinder Head, Piper 285 Cam with Duplex timing gear. Fueling is done through a HIF44 and Facet solid state fuel pump. Spark is produced with an Aldon Yellow distributor and coil. The Exhaust is a Maniflow Stage 2 manifold and a centre exit RC40 exhaust.
The Gearbox was rebuilt by SMMC in 2011. The Clutch and Flywheel are uprated and a Quickshift kit.
Metro AP Turbo 4 pot front brakes with vented discs.
Suspension is fully adjustable with Hilos , Gmax shocks and adjustable bottom arms and tie rods. The car is setup for Fast Road and is very direct and incredibly grippy.

This is the spec and they assure me no rust!!
10 miles will be motorway and then the rest is normal roads!

#7 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

You could use that but it will require more TLC than a standard 998 or 1275. That sounds like it has been setup as a weekend toy. A more standard car would cost you less, may be easier to live with and cost you less if it goes wrong.

#8 stevelane

stevelane

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Used mine as a daily for a couple of months and apart from a couple of bump starts ( caused by me leaving the lights on) I had no issues. Although I bought another car as soon as I could as it just seemed a shame to pile the mileage on a car that I want to keep for as long as I can so I now keep the mini to weekend fun and use the 2002 focus to take the mileage and will use it til the day it gives up

#9 The Principal

The Principal

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

my weekend toy is a similar spec including a Piper Magnum 285 cam it does go like stink but I wouldn't use it as a daily car mainly due to the rush hour traffic you will eat the clutch in quick time due to the lack of torque at low revs, you will be slipping the clutch in traffic and on hills. Sounds like a fun car for the weekend though.

#10 carbon

carbon

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

Marcus, given your age it would also be worth checking out cost of insurance before making decision about buying a modified 1380.

#11 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

You could use that but it will require more TLC than a standard 998 or 1275. That sounds like it has been setup as a weekend toy. A more standard car would cost you less, may be easier to live with and cost you less if it goes wrong.

Insurance for the 998 will be cheaper, too.

#12 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

Insurance for the 998 will be cheaper, too.
very good point, standard 998 v 1380 with long list of mods could be a massive difference depending on the OPs age, not sure if you can still get classic insurance at 20, I know a lot of comapnies have 25 as minimum age now.

#13 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:39 PM

It's perfectly possible to use a classic mini as a daily, so long as you keep it well maintained and once you've identified and rectified any problems caused by the neglect & bodged repairs of previous owners. As others have said, for reliability I'd stick with a standard, or mildly tuned example. Modified & high performance monster tuned 1380's will be less practical and require more maintenance, so are really better suited as weekend toys. If you're going to use a mini as a year round daily then I'd also be reluctant to go with a completely restored model too. The winter months will soon take their toll on a dailys bodywork, so unless you want to be restoring again in a few years time, then a mechanically sound mini in average condition would probably far better suited to daily use, leaving the pristine restored examples more for use as fair weather weekend toys.

#14 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

It's perfectly possible to use a classic mini as a daily, so long as you keep it well maintained and once you've identified and rectified any problems caused by the neglect & bodged repairs of previous owners. As others have said, for reliability I'd stick with a standard, or mildly tuned example. Modified & high performance monster tuned 1380's will be less practical and require more maintenance, so are really better suited as weekend toys. If you're going to use a mini as a year round daily then I'd also be reluctant to go with a completely restored model too. The winter months will soon take their toll on a dailys bodywork, so unless you want to be restoring again in a few years time, then a mechanically sound mini in average condition would probably far better suited to daily use, leaving the pristine restored examples more for use as fair weather weekend toys.

The winter salt is a killer! Used our SPi for 2 winters untl the grille bars fell out, then retired it to summer use only. The damage is rust every place (we must have the only rusty mini front subframe), and pretty well all electric connections corroded. Welding planned for next year, new loom seems likely. The winter daily drive is a Series 3 ex-military Land-Rover with galvanised chassis.

#15 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

I know someone who did 3000 mile trip around europe last summer in a bog standard Mini 1000 last summer with no problems. 

Ultimately they're machines and if they are well maintained correctly they will work. It is important to remember than even the newest 998 Mini will be over 24 years old now and will need care and attention. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users