Photo

Mpi Mini - Windscreen Wipers Stop When I Put The Lights On And Indicators Go Funny

Best Answer Equinox1275 , 13 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

Update* All sorted. Probably my tenth time cleaning up the earth plug on the passager side bulkhead. This time I made a mixture of vinegar and contact cleaner and submerged the whole plug in that solution for half an hour. Pulled it out and scraped the connectors with a tiny screwdriver and blew some more contact cleaner in there. Dried it all out and all my problems and stresses gone. Fixed. 

Thanks all!

Dan

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:32 AM

Hi guys,

My mini is doing funny things to me. I've finally got her running but the electrics for the wipers, lights and indicators is causing me troubles.

I currently have no hazard light switch attached to the car as it was broken. Will this make any difference?

Basically when I put my windscreen wipers on they work fine but once you try and put the lights on at the same time, they cease working. Almost as if all the current is going to trying to make the lights work, then if you indicate, the drivers side is fine but the passenger side goes mad. But if the lights and windscreen wipers are off, the indicators are fine.

I've got to all the earths on the passenger side under the reservoir, undone the plug, sanded the bulkhead and contact cleaned those earths with no luck.

I'm running out of ideas, thanks for your help! :)

Edited by Equinox1275, 12 April 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 10:01 AM

First thing i would do is fit a new hazard switch.

I'm not an electrical guru so i don't know if that would make up the earth but i would say the problems are earth related

#3 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:58 PM

Do the connector under the expansion tank again, took me two attempts

I had exactly the same weird issues. You need to completely take the earth connector apart and clean all of the blades. You'll need a small thin wire to unclip the plastic from the plug (not the one on the cable) before you can get to it all.

It happened to me after the car went in for a new wing and the body shop disturbed that earth.

Q

#4 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:51 PM

remove the steering column cowl and check all the wiring under there

#5 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks rob, I had a look, all the connectors look clean and in good shape. It says your in hampshire, any chance I could pay you to come and have a look at it?

Dan

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:19 PM

It really does sound like an earth issue, but also try taking the park switch out of the wiper motor.

#7 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:21 AM

It really does sound like an earth issue, but also try taking the park switch out of the wiper motor.

Thanks okay, whats the thinking there?

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,433 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:28 AM

The park switch earths the motor to stop it dead, if it's worn it can earth without switching off the supply & feed +12v into the earths, or just create big short that robs the voltage from other ignition fed stuff - like indicators.

#9 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

The park switch earths the motor to stop it dead, if it's worn it can earth without switching off the supply & feed +12v into the earths, or just create big short that robs the voltage from other ignition fed stuff - like indicators.

thanks very much, I like to understand what it is im doing :) I'll give it a go and report back. Do you happen to know whats the technique for getting the wires out of the earth plug thats under the resivour? Is there a special tool or is it really just a super fiddly job?

#10 Equinox1275

Equinox1275

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:21 PM   Best Answer

Update* All sorted. Probably my tenth time cleaning up the earth plug on the passager side bulkhead. This time I made a mixture of vinegar and contact cleaner and submerged the whole plug in that solution for half an hour. Pulled it out and scraped the connectors with a tiny screwdriver and blew some more contact cleaner in there. Dried it all out and all my problems and stresses gone. Fixed. 

Thanks all!

Dan

#11 Fast Ivan

Fast Ivan

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 04:59 PM

Thanks rob, I had a look, all the connectors look clean and in good shape. It says your in hampshire, any chance I could pay you to come and have a look at it?
Dan

That's not something I could do to be honest. I could have come and had a look and have a play but I'm no expert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users