#1 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Local Club: ISMOC

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:07 AM

We're hoping to do the above conversion. We've been in touch with Allspeed as we want to keep the Mini steering/suspension/brakes but they're unable to say whether the auto engine & transmission will fit in their subframe. Does anyone know what differences there are ? We know the box is larger but are the mounting points vastly different, can we alter the Allspeed frame to suit? Lots to consider but we need the initial feasibility before committing to this. Should be a good result if we can get it in, tho not sure about the gearing, may be starting off in 3rd !!

#2 Skortchio

Skortchio

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,596 posts
  • Local Club: EMC

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:10 PM

Lots of relevant info here for you, fella.

http://www.16vminicl...ead.php?t=31049

mr-cooper is also a super nice guy and very helpful, not to mention fabricates ready to use auto based subframes.

http://www.custom-mi...Willkommen.html

I'm going to be undertaking an auto 16v build myself soon™ and have been through much the same process sourcing the details.

Gearing wise, there's diesel autos in the K range so longer legs for shorter wheels shouldn't be an issue. Not to mention the Rover 100/25 had 14" wheels so if you run 13" you won't be too far off.

Which engine are you intending to use?

#3 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:37 PM

1.8 which is already in an auto ZR. 135 hp at mo but looking at Lotus cams and bigger throttle bodies, ecu sorted out accordingly.

Many thanks for input

Edited by Pigeonto, 14 April 2015 - 06:42 PM.

#4 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:58 PM

Is that a CVT transmission? If so, be aware they are prone failure not much past 145bhp.

Has it had some tuning already to reach the 135? The manual engine is 135 stock but the auto is only 115 (because everyone hates us) as far as I'm aware.

The ECU remap by ZandF gets fantastic reviews - they developed the ECU for Rover in the first place and offer a mapping service to up the power and responsiveness around 10-15% usually, most noticeable is the response of course. Mark is also a very helpful chap.

Guys on the Rover forums claim it's night and day improvement.

#5 Badboytunes

Badboytunes

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  • Local Club: MINIS Unleashed

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:00 PM

Had a 25 with that combo, utterly **** engine and box, had nothing but trouble. The auto box is a cvt which just sucks power, drives horrid and is , well, just crap.

Have you thought about a different set up with a decent engine/bpx?

#6 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:11 PM

The K series is an incredible engine, massively underrated. But the CVT is definitely an acquired taste.
It's not to mine, if I continue in the K series route I'll most likely be using the Rover 75 version. It's a 1.8 still but on a conventional auto box and the turbo version comes with a stock 150bhp that's factory retarded from 200, easily unleashed by the good people at ZandF.

The problem we face as automatic transmission users is that many vehicles just aren't built with a decent auto box so tuning the engine often has catastrophic effect. Finding a suitably high powered base model is the better option but again, not as simple as stick shifters have it by a long way.

Edited by Skortchio, 14 April 2015 - 07:12 PM.

#7 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Well it's still at decision stage really. I'm helping a lad in our club who just wants something better than his auto Mini, although it's already a 90 hp example since I modified it and run it on a 998 box with lower final drive. He's a bit of a Paul Walker worshipper ;D and I did tell him that it's risky putting too much through the box but he's unlikely to change his mind, specially having recently sourced this auto ZR. I can't comment on the output at the moment, may well be as you say 115 but is a ZR. He may well just use the whole thing, uprate the engine and enjoy the acceleration with the low gearing and I concluded if he does then the box won't have to take such a load because of the low gearing    

#8 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

How did you get the A series auto transmission to cope with 90bhp?!

I scuppered a Metty transmission which has a 4th clutch plate with probably around 80 ish bhp in no time at all. Which was the reasoning behind switching to 16v for me.

#9 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

Mostly beginner's luck I think to be honest. The converter and the transmission were from a 998 and I suspect the lower FD ratio gave it an easier time. It hasn't actually done a huge amount since so there's nothing to say it will continue on :-/  Maybe til it's removed and we go K series

#10 Pigeonto

Pigeonto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 06:26 AM

OK, we will continue considering the idea but at least no one has said that the auto is not possible to fit in. We will have to stand a manual and an auto together and compare physical differences. Skortchio I like the idea of the diesel running 14" regarding ratios thankyou

#11 Skortchio

Skortchio

• Members
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 09:18 AM

The CVT box is huge!

If you check out the link to 16v I posted initially you'll see the build using one which fits under a stock length front. So completely possible.

In terms of gearing, just to clarify the Rover 25/100 had 14" wheels so the gearing won't be super short if you were to use 13". But a lot of the guys running manual K conversions use the diesel final drive and often the 5th gear for a quiet motorway option.

With enough leverage anything will fit, just a ton of reading and research in advance will save a lot of pain :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users