Photo

Fuel Smell

Best Answer idlethumbs , 25 April 2015 - 01:48 PM

Ok so tank came out today.
No fuel leak, the tank was in great order.
The breather pipe was split coming from the tank. Previous owner used a pipe the wrong size so it was just venting straight into the boot. I guess the small amount of fuel I found was maybe a bit splashed through the breather.
Replaced the pipe, and all the others whilst there.
Total cost £8. Total time 1 hour.
Job done :-) Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 idlethumbs

idlethumbs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:23 AM

Morning.
Was thinking I was going to have a go at the strong fuel smell on my spi this morning.
It starts in the boot and slowly gets worse in the cabin.
I'm guessing tank breather but after searching it seems the spi breather may be more complicated than a carb one.
Any how to info for me anyone?
Also is this tank out or a tank in job?

#2 spiguy

spiguy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:10 AM

I would say just look for leaks. Could be a leak from one of the main pipes where they connect to the tank, feed or return. Breather wise, basically there is a sort of valve on the top of the tank, and the breather line connects to it. This then runs alongside the main pipes up to a charcoal canister under the passenger side wing. The valve at the tanks opens when vapour pressure builds up and allows the fumes to run up to the charcoal canister. There is then a pipe from the canister to a purge valve mounted next to the radiator. This is electrically operated and the ECU opens this periodically to purge the canister via the inlet manifold.

All three pipes in the boot run just behind the tank, you can sort of see them if you peer round the back of the tank. If the smell is mainly boot / cabin I would expect your issue is up at the tank end, maybe a loose hose, split hose etc. Just give it a good look. Hopefully you can sort it without taking the tank out!

#3 Dazols

Dazols

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

Mine is exactly the same. I have looked round the tank but cant see any leaks or pipes lose. Seems its common on the spi.

#4 idlethumbs

idlethumbs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Had a good look round but no good. Definately no fuel leak to speak of, floor is dry, no signs of corrosion, tank is really good condition.
Think it's gonna be tank out job. Will have to leave it for a few weeks till 1. Don't need it and 2. Have some money for parts if I need them.
Thanks for the replies, I will post some info and pics if what I find.

#5 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,901 posts
  • Local Club: BMC

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Have you run the car and looked all over the car? I found the smell of fuel in my car was a slow pin leak in one of the lines that eventually burst and filled the boot with fuel.

#6 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

Good suggestion, a slow leak would create quite a smell, but could evaporate off quickly leaving no evidence... As Steve suggest, maybe running it and looking closely might help (unless you already did that). What about down at the fuel filter connections / pipes?

#7 idlethumbs

idlethumbs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for the replies.
So I think I've found a leak but not sure where from. I hoofed it round for a bit then pulled over and found a very small amount of fuel sitting directly under the fuel tank. Only a damp patch that wiped off with my finger.
Got the missus to rev it for a bit with my head in the boot but couldn't get a leak then.

Almost wish it was worse so easier to find!
Think I may order some new pipe work then take the tank out and just replace from tank to the metal pipe where goes through boot floor. That way I'll definately sort it.

#8 idlethumbs

idlethumbs

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:48 PM   Best Answer

Ok so tank came out today.
No fuel leak, the tank was in great order.
The breather pipe was split coming from the tank. Previous owner used a pipe the wrong size so it was just venting straight into the boot. I guess the small amount of fuel I found was maybe a bit splashed through the breather.
Replaced the pipe, and all the others whilst there.
Total cost £8. Total time 1 hour.
Job done :-)

#9 spiguy

spiguy

• Members
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Good for you. Well done for persevering. Maybe the vapour was condensing on something in the boot and running down. The tank is usually a relatively cold surface, so it could have been condensing on that. Good job you fixed it. A mini boot full of fuel vapour would not be the best thing to have!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users