11 replies to this topic

#1 jc_kasabian

jc_kasabian

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:04 PM

Looking to get some more power out of my mini, just a bog standard 1275 spi engine which has been converted to carbs with a wiring loom replacement and hif44 carb with straight through exhaust on lcb manifold.

I am considering building or buying a 1330 or 1380 fast road engine but this is at a large expense so may start with a cheaper option to begin with. 

what do people recommend the best modifications are to get decent power upgrades? 

Im not really fussy about the price as long as its not ridiculously priced. 

I've currently got a deal in place where i can get a 1380 fully rebuild engine and box with 100bhp+ for £1600 plus my 1275 paying an £800 deposit then £800 on collection a few weeks after. what do people recommend? i am fairly new with mini's and first time working on a car but just finished my first project and after being on the road for a few weeks I'm wanting to upgrade for more power and better brakes.

currently got standard 12" set up with 2 pot callipers, solid discs and cheap pads. any recommendations on the best brakes for the best value? I've got a yellow band master cylinder and not running a servo. 

was thinking on converting to metro 4 pots, anyone done this and got any advice? heard a few good things about these brakes being a lot better than standard especially since I'm going for a fast road mini.

Thanks a lot in advance for any replies and advice as its highly appreciated.

#2 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Go with KAD 4 pot calipers if you have the money. Metro 4 pots are surprisingly heavy, but look so nice through my 12'' Rover minilte alloys. I think they stop the car quicker, but that might just be me.  :highfive:  :shy:

#3 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,965 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

Engine. They all cost the same for the same level of quality. Things only start getting expensive when you start getting exotic

So chose your spec and get it done.

Brakes metro 4 pots are not worth it. Go for some of the alloy 4 pots. And decent pads.

You don't need vented rotors.

#4 jc_kasabian

jc_kasabian

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:15 PM

what sort of price do they come in at? I'm looking to spend £250-300 on upgrading my brakes as they aren't that bad but will feel safer once i get more power, thanks

#5 jc_kasabian

jc_kasabian

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

yeah that is true and straight to the point! just trying to get a little advice for smaller power upgrades or just go for it and buy the 1380 fully built engine which i think is at a bargain! 

heard that the metro brakes were good but tonight had a few people say otherwise so ill look into the alloy ones, any in particular or are they all good? e.g. from mini spares etc?

thanks

#6 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 23 July 2015 - 08:33 PM

If I remember rightly, You will need:

Metro turbo calipers

Metro turbo drive flanges (£40 ish for 2)

Metro turbo front discs (around £40 for 2)

Metro turbo brake pads

Mini ERA turbo caliper bolts.(*4) (minispares sell the correct bolts)

Mini 4 pot caliper conversion hose kit from goodridge.

Forgot what bolts I used for drive flange to brake disk to be honest. (got these from minispares).

AP Racing DOT 5.1 brake fluid if your feeling flush. (demontweeks, I think).

Gives you a good idea of the parts involved anyhoo, if nothing else. :shy:

#7 Patriot

Patriot

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:57 PM

I have just fitted KAD 10" brakes, you still have to firmly press brake pedal.... but the really stop the car, they really are spot on.

#8 Dusky

Dusky

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,322 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 10:19 PM

Standard 8.4" 2 pot brakes lock my wheels when I brake too heavily. How are 4 pot brakes going to improve stopping power then?

1380 isn't the best choice anyway, 1330 should be considered to save some blocks ( tho I heard Ac dodd and calver can sleeve 1380 blocks now).

#9 Jonny1812

Jonny1812

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:49 PM

I'm currently running a 1330, the minisport 4pot alloy calipers stop me well enough on a single line system now that I've got rid of the ebc yelowstuff pads....

#10 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,965 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

yeah that is true and straight to the point! just trying to get a little advice for smaller power upgrades or just go for it and buy the 1380 fully built engine which i think is at a bargain! 

heard that the metro brakes were good but tonight had a few people say otherwise so ill look into the alloy ones, any in particular or are they all good? e.g. from mini spares etc?

thanks

Most use the same piston sizes as the metro. And use the same pads as the metro. But you don't need to arse about making a dual line set up work with a single line car.

Be aware that some brakes are not really road ready as they don't have the piston scrapers to remove most of the crud.

mini engines and small steps don't go together the short motor needs to match the head. The head needs to be good enough for the cam you want. And the cam needs to be suitable for the usage.

But the core of the build is head block,box and whatever there is inside them.whipping the motor out and splitting the box off just to change the cam is a pain in the rear.

Manifolds and silencers and carbs are easy to play with but you power unit is not.

Then you have your ready built. Receipts? Can you hear it run? Can you check the oil pressure?

Might not be worth more that a couple of hundred quid if it is not really new. Who built it as well?

Lots of things to think about.

#11 jc_kasabian

jc_kasabian

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 06:31 AM

aw that'll be alot easier to do then so ill locate a set of the alloy 4 pot callipers when i get paid next week!

the engine is from hamilton race engines and heres the spec, id be going for sw5 camshaft.

SW5 or SW8 camshaft (sw8 will be slightly lumpy on idle)
Lightweight Piston set +120
3 piece clutch kit
Core plugs
Oil gallery plugs
Camshaft followers
Temperature sensor
Oil pressure relief valve
Oil pressure switch
Tri metal race main bearings
Tri metal race big end bearings
Crankshaft thrust washers
High flow water pump
High capacity oil pump
Duplex timing kit
Full gasket and seal set
3 piece clutch kit
Copper head gasket set
Gearbox bearing kit
4 synchromesh baulk rings
4 pin diff

i was planning to do head work and get the minisport 1.5 rockers to begin with and go from their? if i rebuild it myself its similar price to getting hamilton race engine to do it but i would just ne spreading the cost by doing it myself

#12 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

You'd need to budget for another £400-£600 for a decent head to get the quoted 100bhp from that engine. 

Then rolling road to get set up (£100 ish).

Putting head and rocker on your engine will give you a healthy rise in power and then you can upgrade the rest later.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brakes, engine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users