Photo
- - - - -

Help With A Location For Hs4 Carb Hose

Best Answer Stiggytoo , 25 July 2015 - 06:12 PM

Sorry I was thinking of an hif carb for some reason. That's your fuel overflow which ideally should be routed away from anything hot. As I've said, it would originally go to a metal section of pipe which traces along the top and towards the front of the clutch 'wok' to the ground. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 da2428

da2428

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local Club: No club yet

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

I have a pipe on the side of my carb, which looks like a breather hose, it is sitting below another pipe with is a small rubber tube which has a jubilee clip into a metal hose running To the fuel pipe, the pipe I need to know About has a small diameter and looks like a breather or vaccume hose, and I wanted to know if it is supposed to just hang down out of the way, or if it should plug onto anything, it's not the vaccume advance to the dizzy

It's a 1989 998 Austin mini running all standard gear

Thanks for any replies and sorry if it's already posted but I read around and couldn't understand/find what I was looking for

#2 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Local Club: CCMOC

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

I believe there are 4 hose connections on you carb. The fuel pipe is easily identifiable. The small one above (ish) that one is the fuel overflow which usually goes to a metal pipe along the clutch cover (or wok) to the ground. The larger diameter outlet left over is a breather which should be connected to the engine breather canister. 

The tiny outlet is for the vacuum advance.

Edited by Stiggytoo, 25 July 2015 - 03:23 PM.

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,462 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

The fuel inlet goes to the float valve which is under junction of the Tee (see also the bulge in the casting by the screw). Any of the branches of the Tee can be used, sometimes 2 have pipes if the carb is one of a pair. The float vent is in the centre of the lid, so the pipe will point towards the centre and be the  lower one if there's a fuel inlet above. If you were looking at a larger pipe near the throttle, that's for the crank case breather.

#4 da2428

da2428

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

Basically this is the pipe I'm trying to gather wether it connects to anything or just vents to atmosphere, thanks for your replies already

Attached Files

Edited by da2428, 25 July 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#5 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:12 PM   Best Answer

Sorry I was thinking of an hif carb for some reason. That's your fuel overflow which ideally should be routed away from anything hot. As I've said, it would originally go to a metal section of pipe which traces along the top and towards the front of the clutch 'wok' to the ground.

Edited by Stiggytoo, 25 July 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#6 da2428

da2428

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

okay, i suspected as much but thought id check as its a fuel system and the pipe was sitting near my exhaust :shy:, cheers for the info

#7 Stiggytoo

Stiggytoo

Best Plucker?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

If you're lucky petrol will never enter this pipe. However, your were right to be concerned.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users