#1 minigpowner

minigpowner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hi Guys!

I am struggling with getting some decent priced insurance, i am 21 with a fairly extensively modified 1275. Insurance is up for renewal with Adrian Flux at 2K i have all my mods declared. Does anyone have a similar car at a similar age with a better quote or is this as good as it will get?

#2 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:37 PM

Admiral do a classic car policy  with good prices although this depends how old yours is, all you can really do is ring just about everyone you can find and see whats what.

2k at 21 is ridiculous though, im also 21 and i can insure huge jags for less than half that, without any no claims and with fault accidents.

Edited by Down&Out, 05 August 2015 - 08:37 PM.

#3 minigpowner

minigpowner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 08:52 PM

I've called Admiral, Elephant, Footman James, Direct Line and they all say they can't quote me at all. I'm getting the feeling that 2K is the lowest I will get unless i start to haggle with Adrian Flux.

I've pretty much had all my engine internals upgraded apart from crank and pistons, crank was re-balanced. I've had lightened flywheel, fast road cam, higher lift rockers, twin 1.75 carbs, straight cut gearbox, full stainless steel exhaust, maniflow manifold, sport-cat, stage 3 head.  Pretty much everything i could do to it! I feel that I've modified it too much for decent insurance now. With interior changes on the radar like buckets, rear seat removal and roll cage I'm worried i won't get insured at all! Need help hahaha

#4 Down&Out

Down&Out

The King Of Retro Cool

• Traders
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:40 PM

Well your options seem to be either run less mods, a standard engine, or dont declare it. (not recommended, as therefore essentially uninsured)

You can have many things but unless you're old and rammed with no claims then a fast road mini and cheap insurance will not go together.

#5 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:00 AM

Youve shot yourself in the foot really by not considering insurance before doing all the modifications.

That being said, it does seem quite expensive. I was insuring a modified 1275 at 21 for around £400. The area you live in and the storage of the vehicle is a big part of the cost of insurance so these might be having an effect.

Its likely you may have to lump it for the first year. Cars are expensive to insure at first but the price soon drops the longer you own it.

#6 minigpowner

minigpowner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 05:21 PM

I Paid 3000 my first year then 2500 last year even though its come down 500 each year it still seems very high considering. i had the mini unmodified for a year and it was still 3000 (that was as a 998 until we realised it was actually a 1275 after removing the engine haha!) i think i may have to just haggle them, do TMF members still get the 15% discount with Adrian Flux??

#7 kezzkitkat

kezzkitkat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

I Paid 3000 my first year then 2500 last year even though its come down 500 each year it still seems very high considering. i had the mini unmodified for a year and it was still 3000 (that was as a 998 until we realised it was actually a 1275 after removing the engine haha!) i think i may have to just haggle them, do TMF members still get the 15% discount with Adrian Flux??

Mine is 800 below a 1000 last year all mods declared 1275,stage 3,roll cage,flip front,coil over Etc i m 20,21 in November

#8 kezzkitkat

kezzkitkat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:13 AM

Mine is 800 below a 1000 last year all mods declared 1275,stage 3,roll cage,flip front,coil over Etc i m 20,21 in November

#9 minigpowner

minigpowner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:27 PM

who was this with??

#10 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:54 PM

I've pretty much had all my engine internals upgraded apart from crank and pistons, crank was re-balanced. I've had lightened flywheel, fast road cam, higher lift rockers, twin 1.75 carbs, straight cut gearbox, full stainless steel exhaust, maniflow manifold, sport-cat, stage 3 head.  Pretty much everything i could do to it! I feel that I've modified it too much for decent insurance now. With interior changes on the radar like buckets, rear seat removal and roll cage I'm worried i won't get insured at all! Need help hahaha

Sport cat and twin 1.75" carbs? Unusual combination!

#11 jt19

jt19

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:04 PM

Try hic mate.

#12 minigpowner

minigpowner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:16 PM

Sport cat and twin 1.75" carbs? Unusual combination!

oops didn't mean to put that, was thinking of m GP2 haha

#13 minigpowner

minigpowner

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

Try hic mate.

tried them a few years ago and they weren't competitive but may have changed so will give them another call, cheers

#14 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

HIC are owned by Adrian Flux so youll probably get a near identical quote. They gave me a quote within £3 of Adrian Flux when I renewed.

#15 jt19

jt19

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

I've insured the mini twice with hic and they seemed helpful. They gave me cover to drive other vehicles third party as well.
As it's my second car I have it for 3000 miles limited.
Might be worth getting limited milage if you don't do lots of miles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users