6 replies to this topic

#1 earthling

earthling

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

Hi, I have posted on this before but it's driving me nuts.  I have a 73 van with an A Plus 1275 engine.  All is well except the speedo.  It'll work fine after moving off, then drop to zero.  If I waddle the cable near the clock from the engine side it will work again, ( for a mile or so) or sometimes if I perform a tight U turn.  I have checked the cable is seated properly at both ends (it's a new cable) I have substituted the speedo for a new one, but the same thing happens.  What about the gearbox end?  Is it possible the drive that bolts into the gearbox is the wrong one?  Any suggestions please.

Thanks

Adam

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,960 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

I'd suggest having a look at the drive gear in the gearbox. You can get at it with the engine in. Either take the LH Pot Joint out or remove the radiator. The Gears are Nylon (or plastic) and can spin on the steel shaft.

#3 earthling

earthling

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for that. For an MG Metro ahould it be a particular colour or number of teeth?  And, just to clarify, if it is is spinning on the shaft then it is broken?

Thanks for your help

Adam

#4 Batmini

Batmini

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 08:02 PM

Yeah, if it spins on the shaft it's broken. I had the same thing, but managed to glue it back on the shaft. I cut some slots on the inside of the gear to aid the gluing to the shaft. Time will tell if it lasts i suppose, but can't see why not.

#5 earthling

earthling

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 01:24 PM

Thank you Batmini and Moke Spider, I will grease up my arms, dive in and have a look

Thanks

Adam

#6 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

If it still has the metro drives in there, you need to replace them anyway, as your speedo will read wrong.

#7 earthling

earthling

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

Hi all - well now I have a working speedo.  Took it out on my bumpiest test road and it worked throughout.  I took the rad out and removed the drive and also disconnected it from the speedo head end.  The shaft seemed fine (how many teeth shoukld it have to be right for a centre clock conversion? )

The difference was I connected the cable forst to the speedo head end then, making sure it had engaged witht he drive , then replaced it. 

Thanks to all those that helped,

Adam

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: engine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users