28 replies to this topic

#1 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

I did an oil change today and then when i went to start the mini, it would only start with my flat on the floor of the accelerator pedal then would keep running for about 5 seconds then stop.. :w00t: it did this twice then wouldnt even start. :w00t: so no i cant even start the mini NNNNOOOOO.

Does anyone know what has gone wrong please help me, i dont understand how an oil change could stop the engine running :(

PLEASE HELP

#2 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

As soon as I try and post on this forum... I'm being redirected by some form of Trojan that got on my system (from here) two or three days ago. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Since you've been working under the bonnet, check for any wires or vacuum lines you may have bumped. Specifically I'd look at the vacuum hose to the brake servo to see if it is disconnected at either end.

#3 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:06 PM

As soon as I try and post on this forum... I'm being redirected by some form of Trojan that got on my system (from here) two or three days ago. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Since you've been working under the bonnet, check for any wires or vacuum lines you may have bumped. Specifically I'd look at the vacuum hose to the brake servo to see if it is disconnected at either end.

yes a lot have people have had problems download firefox and your probs are sorted :w00t:

#4 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

A bit off topic.. Any one know what could be wrong all i did was change the oil. i have checked the wires and pipes and cant find anything wrong :w00t:

#5 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

A bit off topic.. Any one know what could be wrong all i did was change the oil. i have checked the wires and pipes and cant find anything wrong :w00t:

are you out off petrol :w00t: just check lol

#6 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:58 PM

nah its got atleast 1/2 a tank i just dont understand what would cause this to happen would a build up of dirt cause this, if so how could i clear it.

#7 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

nah its got atleast 1/2 a tank i just dont understand what would cause this to happen would a build up of dirt cause this, if so how could i clear it.

hi its possible but it shouldn't just stop like that the only way to clean it properly is to take the carb of and check and you might want to check your points they might have closed now that's possible they got a mind off there own

#8 TOMMO0302

TOMMO0302

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

It probably wouldn't, will be something obvious....once you spot it! A Homer Simpson 'Doh' kinda moment, or possibly a 'oh, it works fine in the morning, never mind' kinda moment i predict :w00t:

#9 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:03 PM

It probably wouldn't, will be something obvious....once you spot it! A Homer Simpson 'Doh' kinda moment, or possibly a 'oh, it works fine in the morning, never mind' kinda moment i predict :w00t:

:w00t: LOL :(

#10 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

i duno but its really anoying

#11 Jimmyarm

Jimmyarm

Entrepreneur of Adult Material

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts
  • Local Club: TMf

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:20 PM

interesting, did you change the filter ?

go through everything you did in your mind step by step to be sure that you didnt do anything out of the ordinary....i find it helps to physically do this (without actually undoing anything etc) to trace your steps...

otherwise i dont know !

#12 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

All i did was run the engine till it was hot, then i drained the oil out, then i changed my automatic oil filter, then i filled it back up.

The only thing i did wrong was forgot to tighten the oil filter up so i whent to turn the engine on and oil sprayed everywhere :w00t: but then i tightened it up and that fixed that so dont know.:w00t:

#13 giz

giz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Local Club: ubmc

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:14 PM

i might sound a bit stupid or maybe not but isn't this what happens when the engine is flooded?
my old mini used to start at the same point every time i must have trained it! but if anyone else tried to start it it would flood or if for some reason i didn't use the same starting technique it would flood.

try leaving it a while then starting it.

#14 ANDY J

ANDY J

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:18 PM

All i did was run the engine till it was hot, then i drained the oil out, then i changed my automatic oil filter, then i filled it back up.

The only thing i did wrong was forgot to tighten the oil filter up so i whent to turn the engine on and oil sprayed everywhere :w00t: but then i tightened it up and that fixed that so dont know.:w00t:

hi just check that you never pulled the distributor wire out from the loom if you did you wont get a spark

Edited by ANDY J, 03 August 2006 - 10:18 PM.

#15 Tomf

Tomf

Baby Tom

• Traders
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

ill chech that 2 murow as i did change the distributor at the same time and all the HT leads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users