Photo
- - - - -

Hi All Thought I Would Share My Ecoboost Project Should Be Running In The Next Few Weeks

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#46 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:10 PM

I need to look a bit harder :-)

#47 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

These engine prices are a mere fraction of what it would cost to get the power from an A series, presumably by supercharging and a 7 or 8 port head! And an A series at that sort of power would never be reliable. Even at £1500 it is a bargain.

#48 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:52 PM

I saw the new 7 or 8 port heads at £2,700 on here the other day and thought exactly that!

#49 charlieb150

charlieb150

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:37 PM

The only downside at the min is the pure cost of the management side of things as the sc ecu is the most cost effective option but still has a hefty price tag, if the bosch EDC 17 ecu (the one that comes on the Ford)can be deimobilised and tinkered with in the near future, it will be perfect as they are a tenth of the price of all the other options with sc delta ecus at 1400+vat inc the loom where as life racing are 2-4K without the loom.

I'm running the delta ecu with no trouble 👍

Edited by charlieb150, 08 January 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#50 998kid

998kid

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club

Posted 09 January 2017 - 11:06 AM

I paid 300 for mine with a damaged water pump housing

This just gets even more tempting by the day!!!
I need to find me a bargain like this

#51 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,420 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

I googled out of idle curiosity.

Seems a 4.06 final drive is common with 0.75 in 5th, so in the same ball park as an A Series Mini.

#52 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:15 PM

Yes, tat is most encouraging, but as the A series goes down to 2.76 and the Ford engine has better torque, it would probably be happy with 2.5 overall or about 3.3 FD. Maybe even a little bit lower for long distance cruising. There will still be plenty of acceleration in the lower gears!

I wonder if Ford gave plans for a 6 speed box? Even a twin clutch auto would be nice, if the presumed extra bulk would still fit. And is there any reason why a twin clutch auto can not be converted to manual? Just curious....

But even without the improvements I desire, this conversion still wins on performance, economy and cost. Has there been a better one? And please don't suggest bike engines, which fail miserably on longevity, economy, emissions and low to mid range torque, amongst other things, and are abominable for road use.

#53 charlieb150

charlieb150

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

Yes, tat is most encouraging, but as the A series goes down to 2.76 and the Ford engine has better torque, it would probably be happy with 2.5 overall or about 3.3 FD. Maybe even a little bit lower for long distance cruising. There will still be plenty of acceleration in the lower gears!

I wonder if Ford gave plans for a 6 speed box? Even a twin clutch auto would be nice, if the presumed extra bulk would still fit. And is there any reason why a twin clutch auto can not be converted to manual? Just curious....

But even without the improvements I desire, this conversion still wins on performance, economy and cost. Has there been a better one? And please don't suggest bike engines, which fail miserably on longevity, economy, emissions and low to mid range torque, amongst other things, and are abominable for road use.

I'm running the 6spd box (IB6) in it will look into final drives properly soon

#54 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:57 PM

I'm surprised at the RPM you're turning, I was hoping it would be lower given that in the donor car it's about 2100 at 70......doesn't that make 1st gear kind of a throwaway gear?

I'm seriously looking into building a rear engine hot rod Mini with this power plant, I was thinking of buying the entire (wrecked) Ford Fiesta and using the factory ECU as I wanted to use the Auto box, but I'm told that's impossible due to all the ancillary components built into the car like the immobilizer, traction control, ABS, tire pressure monitoring, HVAC, air bags, stability control and so on that won't be used in the Mini......I'm told the ECU polls 8 different components before it will even crank the engine.

Turning all those systems off is not possible according to my local Ford Service Training Center, hence the use of an aftermarket ECU, although Ford do offer one now for the 3 cylinder (roughly $1000) but only for the manual transmission.

Edited by Magneto, 09 January 2017 - 06:05 PM.

#55 paulrockliffe

paulrockliffe

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:17 PM

Is it not possible to fake the signals at all?

#56 charlieb150

charlieb150

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:40 PM

I'm surprised at the RPM you're turning, I was hoping it would be lower given that in the donor car it's about 2100 at 70......doesn't that make 1st gear kind of a throwaway gear?

It may be less I've not driven it myself for 5 months (have a broken foot )will let you know when I'm back driving

I'm seriously looking into building a rear engine hot rod Mini with this power plant, I was thinking of buying the entire (wrecked) Ford Fiesta and using the factory ECU as I wanted to use the Auto box, but I'm told that's impossible due to all the ancillary components built into the car like the immobilizer, traction control, ABS, tire pressure monitoring, HVAC, air bags, stability control and so on that won't be used in the Mini......I'm told the ECU polls 8 different components before it will even crank the engine.

Turning all those systems off is not possible according to my local Ford Service Training Center, hence the use of an aftermarket ECU, although Ford do offer one now for the 3 cylinder (roughly $1000) but only for the manual transmission.

Yeah I know I am on 10" wheels still so that doesn't help being that the focus has 17"s or so, yeah 1st is short , for normal driving I use it, when launching I use 2nd I also tried 3rd but it either wheel spins or you not quite on boost,

Yeah it's currently near impossible to use the Ford ecu I have a friend that has been playing with one but no such luck yet

Edited by charlieb150, 09 January 2017 - 06:45 PM.

#57 DomCr250

DomCr250

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Local Club: 16V mini club

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:23 PM

The only downside at the min is the pure cost of the management side of things as the sc ecu is the most cost effective option but still has a hefty price tag, if the bosch EDC 17 ecu (the one that comes on the Ford)can be deimobilised and tinkered with in the near future, it will be perfect as they are a tenth of the price of all the other options with sc delta ecus at 1400+vat inc the loom where as life racing are 2-4K without the loom.
I'm running the delta ecu with no trouble

You could go down the megasquirt route, self build and will cope with turbo engines, won't be any maps I suspect, so it may prove expensive in setup costs?

#58 charlieb150

charlieb150

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 10:56 PM

I'm running the delta ecu with no trouble

You could go down the megasquirt route, self build and will cope with turbo engines, won't be any maps I suspect, so it may prove expensive in setup costs?

Your limited to a couple of company's at the minute as most don't do direct injection etc I'm not sure that they support direct injection they weren't when I was looking in 2015

#59 DannyTip

DannyTip

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,020 posts
  • Local Club: A Series Magpies

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:54 AM

Wow i expected the engines to be thousands being so new.  Whats the fuel setup like on this with the direct injection? Is it just a supply and return?

#60 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 12:16 PM

What does the inside of your car look like with this conversion? Aftermarket clocks needed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users