Photo
- - - - -

Mini Wont Start.

Best Answer calgibb , 17 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

I wasn't getting any compression on the two left cylinders so I took the engine apart enough to take the head off. It was the head gasket so I am getting the head skimmed and putting new gaskets on all around so everything should be sound when I get it all back together. If it isn't i'll be back to find out what needs doing next. Thanks guys.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 calgibb

calgibb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

I have a 1982 mini HLE however it doesn't appear to be the original engine.

The car was driving fine a few days ago but as I was driving there was a noise that sounded like a clunk (clunk, clunk, clunk...) which increased with revs. It did seem to disappear in the higher range of revs. I got home turned the car off then restarted it, it started but would not idle right and kept cutting out. I pulled the choke out to keep it going while I tried to investigate. I removed the air filter as it sounded like the carb was blowing back (it was and seemed to be wet with petrol.) I resembled the air filter and left the car for the night. I tried to start the car the next day and it wouldn't start up, it would turn over until the carb would blow back and then nothing. I looked up the issue on a few forums, it appeared the common problem was linked to the coil not working so that has been replaced but no luck. I did manage to get the car started once but it seemed like it was just luck, it was blowing back a hell of a lot and the exhaust was puffing ( not constant.

I have recently changed the condenser, the points, the distributor cap and inline fuel filter.

Does anyone have a possible solution to this? if I need to provide more information please tell me what I need to find out.

Thanks in advance,

Callum

#2 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

Compression check Valve burnt out ?

#3 calgibb

calgibb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

What should I be looking for int he compression check?

#4 KernowCooper

KernowCooper

Sparkie

• Mini Docs
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,847 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Kernow Mini Club

Posted 14 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

160psi + you know if its got a valve gone, it will be way low, or head gasket gone between cylinders so 2 will be low

Edited by KernowCooper, 14 September 2015 - 11:59 PM.

#5 Blatherskite

Blatherskite

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club

Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

Had a similar event a few years ago. Turned out that a rocker adjuster for exhaust on one cylinder had become loose, and adjusted itself so much that the valve wouldn't open. Whip the rocker box off and have a quick check, might save a bunch of time-consuming testing...

#6 Wim Fournier

Wim Fournier

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

Klunck, clunck, clunck, means there is something at the top of a piston that hits the head inside.

When coughing into the carburettor, means there is a valve that does not close and with the piston going up to het compression stroke before the power stroke, the inhaled air is pushed out through the carburettor again and with the ignition spark this gas is enlightened. Fire in your carb.

#7 calgibb

calgibb

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:00 PM   Best Answer

I wasn't getting any compression on the two left cylinders so I took the engine apart enough to take the head off. It was the head gasket so I am getting the head skimmed and putting new gaskets on all around so everything should be sound when I get it all back together. If it isn't i'll be back to find out what needs doing next. Thanks guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users